6 Replies - 937 Views - Last Post: 03 January 2009 - 05:25 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

What is up with trying to save a VS 2008 project?!?!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

OK what is wrong with this retarded visual studio IDE?? My code got thrown out again when I exited.

I was ready for it this time and have my own copy in a text editor (thank you notepad++).

I enter the code and hit save 20 times during and after entering and running a successful test. Then I save it 2-3 times more just to make sure there is nothing left to do. When I exit the retarded program says Hey do you want to save the changes? I say no, why should I, I already saved it 20-30 times to protect myself against you, so no cancel your stupid 31'st save. FLOP! Everything is gone, OMG?! WTF is wrong with the people who designed this?!

If you don't let it do ANOTHER save after you have ALREADY saved it 20 times, your project goes in the trash. OMFG... Well at least I figured it out now and not when I am working on something important. Another moronic hoop to jump through for a 'microsoft standard'...

(waiting for Dev C++ people to make a C# IDE...plz o plz)

This post has been edited by badjava: 03 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is up with trying to save a VS 2008 project?!?!

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is up with trying to save a VS 2008 project?!?!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Weird, I've been using Visual Studio for many a year now and have never experienced anything like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

In Visual Studio, the default option for Ctrl+S (or Save) is Save the current item, so you just say the item you've been working so far. To save the whole project (solution) you have to use Ctrl+Shift+S (or Save All). So if you saved the current item, but other items in the solution have been modified, at program exit it will ask you if you want to save the rest of the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 3 Jan, 2009 - 11:12 AM, said:

Weird, I've been using Visual Studio for many a year now and have never experienced anything like this.

Rethinking this I'm wondering if there is a 'project save' that doesn't show up on the main file menu and maybe the default 'save' is only saving my one .cs file and not the project? If this is the case and there isn't a 'project save' menu choice I have to go back to my retarded IDE accusation. I am using the express C# 2008 version so maybe they just didn't include the full program? (IE full menu options for saving your project AND files?) I know, it doesn't make any sense...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

I agree with Core, it sounds like you are not saving the entire solution. That box that usually comes up asking to save just before you quit is for the entire solution so make sure you always say yes to that one even if you pressed save 20-30 times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 3 Jan, 2009 - 11:18 AM, said:

I agree with Core, it sounds like you are not saving the entire solution. That box that usually comes up asking to save just before you quit is for the entire solution so make sure you always say yes to that one even if you pressed save 20-30 times.

OK thank you Martyr2 and Core and everyone, eeesh. Now I see the save all menu option too, there is something to be said for stepping away from the PC at 5am and finally going to get some sleep. :stupid:

@Core, yeah u were right of course, you got that reply in there sometime when I was writing my post and I didn't see it until after. Thank you tho!

This post has been edited by badjava: 03 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Things like this will make you save after every line of code. I have had about 4 hours of work lost because I never saved while writing the code and we had a power outage....and my backup battery had died. So now, it has just become a habit that anytime I write code, I always save as soon as I am done. If I write 1 line, I save. If I write a for loop, I will save after the for loop is completed.

If you continuously save, you don't have to worry about other open documents being modified and needing to be saved. Also, if you build the solution (Ctrl + Shift + B ), it will save all documents.

This post has been edited by eclipsed4utoo: 03 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1