Windows V.S. Linux

What do you prefer? explain...

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

52 Replies - 5436 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

Poll: Windows V.S. Linux (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one do you prefer?

1. Linux(Explain) (35 votes [60.34%])

Percentage of vote: 60.34%

2. Windows(Explain) (17 votes [29.31%])

Percentage of vote: 29.31%

3. Other(Explain) (6 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

Vote

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows V.S. Linux

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

View Postfuzzylunkinz, on 20 Jan, 2009 - 10:50 PM, said:

Yeah, 'cause I love installing mac on a PC I custom built myself :blink:.

It's doable, but yeah I agree the market for build-it-yourself Macs is pretty small.

I was talking about the upgrade versions of both OSs though. Right now (according to Apple.com) OS X Leopard costs $129. On TigerDirect there are several upgrade copies of Vista SP1 ranging from $103 to $230.

So yeah, Vista Home Basic is cheaper than OS X, but I'd argue that OS X comes with more than $30 worth of software to make up the difference.

I do think that Apple hardware is horrendously overpriced, and I think maybe that's what you meant, but that doesn't really belong in a discussion about the pros and cons of each OS.

View Postfuzzylunkinz, on 20 Jan, 2009 - 10:50 PM, said:

The stereotypical Linux developer doesn't do it for a return. I suppose stereotypical is the key word :/

No, but I'm sure they'd love donations. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ???
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

I prefer Ubuntu.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

although being a windows user im a fan of linux due to their cheap licencing on net books
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

Linux, because freedom and control are valuable to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

I am a gamer, so i mainly use Windows... saying i have used uBuntu server and desktop editions, Mandriva, and probably a few other linux distros... but seein as my games dont run in wine and its just not feasible to use a VM for playin current games, i have Windows XP on my main PC...

On my old PC, this is now just used as a generic web browsing machine not much else, i use uBuntu and when i have to do work a VM for Windows XP...

tbh though this is just down to the market, and if the latest games were coded for Linux i would seriously thing about switching permanently! xD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

Depending on what i am doing. Windows, gaming and video's. Linux, everything else
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Oh, here we go again. ^.^

The first time i started using Linux was last October, I believe. I loved it! Though, I barely knew what I was doing. I had set up Suse 11.10 because the computers I owned at the time were just not right in hardware: a pentium 4 machine with 256 megabytes of SDRAM and a Celeron @ 2.4 GHz with 1 gigabyte of DDR, but with a problem: the chip outputted so much heat, it actually started melting the socket locks (which were, of course, plastic >.<) and the chip fell out of balance, resulting in terrible performance. So I set up Suse as a way of balancing for that, though kept an XP install around.

When I got my current computer this September (which is definitely not without performance), the first thing I did was remove the stock Windows 7 install and install Suse 11.10. I just loved that thing! Linux was difficult to use at first, but I found mastering that complexity to be not so difficult, and furthermore, just fun. I could easily do what I wanted, and literally didn't have to worry about software. I never found an IDE that I liked, apart from the Qt one, so I got used to using Gedit. Turns out text editors are kinda my thing today.

I did end up having a lot of problems with Linux, though. While Linux itself is incredibly awesome and stable, none of the surrounding software (e.g drivers) actually is production - quality. ALSA and PULSE, for instance, regularly went broke without me having the slightest idea why, so I ended up reinstalling the OS quite a lot. I switched distros for a while, looking for something more usable; Ubuntu was my main thing, then I tried Arch (which I couldn't get Mono to work on), then Fedora, and finally I ended up back with Ubuntu. But, when X just decided to die on me after an update, I was faced with either: ditching the GUI forever, or ditching Linux.

As I watch a lot of videos, I decided (albeit saddened) that I would ditch Linux.

Sure, I loved it when it worked, but it gave me far too much of a headache when it didn't; so, I installed Windows 7, deleted Linux and don't have any problem with it. I do miss Gnome 3, though.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#53 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

Please refrain from replying to topics of such and old and crusty nature.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First