2 Replies - 3010 Views - Last Post: 21 November 2009 - 04:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Whats Ruby's power?

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

HI, I am interested in learning ruby ,I know c,c++ and python. I want to know what ruby can do???

I know apache has a plug-in model.

I would like to use ruby for web apps. I want to also later down the road make web games. I was told java is the only way to make web games.

I would like to know if ruby can make web games. I been playing around with python on web apps. I have not hard coded in python or done anything major with it.

I would like to know what ruby can do as in web apps. Could it be used to make web games? I would like advance stuff ruby is used for.

I just want to know if I should learn ruby. I just want to make sure if I learn ruby that I can use it for alot of things and be able to do alot with making web apps well advance ones.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Whats Ruby's power?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Whats Ruby's power?

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Ruby on Rails - the most powerful ruby web framework, and I think the best web framework at all.
Sinatra - servie-oriented web framework ( personal opinion )
There are also Merb, Halcyan, Ramaze, etc.

So, you can see that there are unlimited possibilities of using Ruby in the web.
You can build your own around Rack or using Mongrel Handler for examples.

This post has been edited by MitkOK: 06 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Whats Ruby's power?

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

Web games aren't written in Java as much as they used to be. You'll probably find it much easier to use flash, if you can afford it. Ruby can also be used to make web games, but keep in mind that these would be games similar to phpDiplomacy or Facebook Apps rather than stuff you might find on Miniclip.

Yes, Rails can be used to created advanced applications, hulu and twitter for example are both rails project. Bottom line is ruby is a fantastic language and absolutely worth learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1