What Is Required To Be Skilled As A Web Developer?

How I might obtain a license and approach the job market?

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1224 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

My e-mail is: ** Removed **
Thank you!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Is Required To Be Skilled As A Web Developer?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What Is Required To Be Skilled As A Web Developer?

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

I'm pretty sure there is no official web design license. From what I understand, if you really want to get into the field, you need the knowledge and then you need proof of your knowledge (previous work / portfolio). You can get certificates from w3c though. It's pretty easy to pass most of the tests as long as you spend a couple days studying whatever you want to get certified in. There are a lot of languages that you're going to have to use depending on what kind of websites you plan on making.

In terms of natural skill - problem solving is a very good one to have because when you go to make a website, almost regardless of how many times you've done it, there are going to be problems that you're going to have to figure out the solution to. Also, some artistic ability, or at least design sense is important. I think patients is also a good one since it takes a while to get to a moderate level in terms of code and design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

Lets keep all communication on the site so that everyone can read the answers.

Simply put : To be able to develop web sites.

The question is really unable to be answered easily, since each job task as a web developer will change from one job to another. Some place may require that their web developer simply design graphical layouts, while another may require that you be able to write cgi-bin & perform automated backups on a Unix system. It's going to be unique on the job & they employer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 7 Jan, 2009 - 10:14 PM, said:

Lets keep all communication on the site so that everyone can read the answers.

Simply put : To be able to develop web sites.

The question is really unable to be answered easily, since each job task as a web developer will change from one job to another. Some place may require that their web developer simply design graphical layouts, while another may require that you be able to write cgi-bin & perform automated backups on a Unix system. It's going to be unique on the job & they employer.

I also have this same question.

I know html,css,php, javascript. I also know c c++ and python. and some ASM.

I applied to many jobs. Not one even considered me only one company that allowed me to take a test.

They told me to make a login script to input a persons name and phone number and e-mail into a database.

So I made a simple one.

then I failed the test cause they told me well we are looking for programmers who would make a secure login page.

and to me since I never took web development classes. I know the stuff pretty well but I was like I can't read minds.

I thought they wanted to check if I have a basic understanding.

so they allow me to retake it. I got a different problem.

so I added the security wtih php meaning checking inputs for any code inputted.

I then also after doing what I was asked thought why not go overboard to impress them.

So i then added code to check if there is a existing record in the database to display a error message saying that sorry it already exists.

thats only if all 3 inputs are the same.

else if only 2 are the same it will grab that same record that was found only if there is one that matches 2 inputs it will then update the data.

I then went out with my html and css coding to make the input fields look presentable.

I turned it in.

they tell me they will look at tests by jan. S o now jan comes by and I e-mail them and they said sorry we are not looking for any php work currently.

I also do have a certificate in html 4.01 and computer technician.

I took a college course in highschool for computer repair. I know I have the skills to fix computers.

I went around looking for a job. There are jobs it's just they pay low and they expect alot.

I was certified by expertrating. Yet in america most repair shops look for a comptia A+ cert.

yet it's the same test and same certification but by different companies.

Yet I get reponses from repair shops sayiing they only accept comptia a+ certification.

which is 200 bucks per test.

and people that do get that certificate still don't know how to fully repair computers.

I seen them at best buy. Some kids didn't even know about the what the cpu is measured in.

So I am kinda frustrated with the job market.

I been looking for programming jobs or computer repair.

I also applied to low level jobs like best buy. and even family video and block buster. I don't get any interviews.

I know the places are hiring.

so it's just frustration that I have.

So to add on to the question and I think he would like to know also as well as I do.

what suggestions do you guys have to make us employable or make us shine enough that we will get jobs instantly or even not instantly but what should we be doing to make sure we are employable in a job market in web development?

I really need some tips. If your currently employed with a company that your a web developer. Please share your storys of how you got the interview and how you handled it.

I know there are still jobs around but I am not even getting interviews.

I don't have any degree in the field.

I currently in college majoring in accounting. I also tried looking for entry jobs in that field and I know if I have a strong computer background Is should really be hired on the fly in accounting jobs.

cause they have high demands for people to be at least computer literate and if you have a strong background in computers they would hire you then a person that just knows how to work a computer.

thanks for your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

I know a website which helps you in web designing business
you can have its review, go to following link:

• -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:20 AM

View Posthockey97, on 21 Jan, 2009 - 12:26 PM, said:

...wow, same boat I was in about 10 years ago!

Unfortunately, it's a Catch 22. You have to have experience to get the job, but no jobs (worth taking) will take you without the experience.

For 6 years I was unable to find a job in the IT field, & then while I was in school (didn't even get my degree yet) I was able to land my 1st one. All you have to do is get your foot in the door, clear the rest of the non-IT jobs off your resume, & you'll start getting phone calls like crazy.

My advice is this :

Scratch the PC Repair. Doesn't sound like it's your passion. Scratch the Best Buy.

Figure out what you truly want to do. What's your dream job? Programming... programming what? Web development? On what level? You need to figure out what to target.

You also have to think of things from the other perspective. If you were a hiring manager, & some kid comes in for a PC Repair job, going on about PHP & Assembler... you're going to think this guy either a.) Isn't real sure what he wants, or b.) Isn't going to stick around but for 6 months b/c this isn't what he's looking for.

Figure out what you want, apply for job specific positions, tailor your resume to match that job, that position, that employer, & you'll find employers that start taking you seriously. If you continue to go into interviews with the "I can do all of this & more" style attitude, they'll pick up on it quick & kick you to the curb.

Best of luck, I know it's tough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

What Is Required To Be Skilled As A Web Developer?, How I might obtain a license and approach the job market?

Three different inquiries. First, there is no license for web development. There are some certification courses wherein after a body of work and examinations/tests/projects, some entity will confer upon you the title of "certified blablabla". The worth of that is directly tied to how the certifying entity is regarded by potential employers. Kind of like the difference between "Microsoft Certified A+" and "Joe-Bob's Certified". Personally, I've been working in web development for over 10 years and have never bothered to become officially certified with any of the tools I use.

In order to demonstrate that you have skills, you need to build something. What I'm referring to here is a portfolio of your work. Things you can point an employer to and say "I built that". More than anything else, this is an important part in your approach to the job market. My primary skill set is CFML. I've been asked many times for examples of my work...I've only ever been asked once if I'm a ColdFusion Certified Developer. When I told them I was not, they asked to see my work examples and I got the job. The parallel to this is "can you speak English" versus "can you write a bestselling novel". Possession of and skill with a hammer does not mean you can build a mean house...it just means you know how to use a tool.

In my opinion, once you have the tools under your belt, the next best skill to have is the ability to think creatively. Come up with a vision of what you want to built (or what someone else wants you to build) and then go about using your tools to their best effect to make that. This requires the ability to think creatively, visualize processes, turn the visions into code in the most secure and efficient manner possible.

Finally, how do you get from zero to the places I just described? Write code. Lots of it. Practice, practice, practice. Pick a tool or two and use them...a lot. Get everything you can out of them...then ask others what they would have done differently with the same tools.

Hope my 2c helps. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 23 Jan, 2009 - 12:20 AM, said:

View Posthockey97, on 21 Jan, 2009 - 12:26 PM, said:

...wow, same boat I was in about 10 years ago!

Unfortunately, it's a Catch 22. You have to have experience to get the job, but no jobs (worth taking) will take you without the experience.

For 6 years I was unable to find a job in the IT field, & then while I was in school (didn't even get my degree yet) I was able to land my 1st one. All you have to do is get your foot in the door, clear the rest of the non-IT jobs off your resume, & you'll start getting phone calls like crazy.

My advice is this :

Scratch the PC Repair. Doesn't sound like it's your passion. Scratch the Best Buy.

Figure out what you truly want to do. What's your dream job? Programming... programming what? Web development? On what level? You need to figure out what to target.

You also have to think of things from the other perspective. If you were a hiring manager, & some kid comes in for a PC Repair job, going on about PHP & Assembler... you're going to think this guy either a.) Isn't real sure what he wants, or b.) Isn't going to stick around but for 6 months b/c this isn't what he's looking for.

Figure out what you want, apply for job specific positions, tailor your resume to match that job, that position, that employer, & you'll find employers that start taking you seriously. If you continue to go into interviews with the "I can do all of this & more" style attitude, they'll pick up on it quick & kick you to the curb.

Best of luck, I know it's tough.

Thanks for your reply. I will try to stick with the job. My teacher in highschool that taught use eletronics and computer repair told us the oppsite.

he told us you want to put all your skills and what you done as much as you can. This shows that your egar to get into things.

I do like computer repair and also programming.

Now what I would enjoy is programming but yet I heard there is alot of dead lines and they really push you to make deadlines. I see it kinda stressful. I don't really like stressful environments.

I am in college currently full time. I need to get a job on the side to pay for classes. They hiked up the tuition. My dad is currently paying for it. Since I got cut off from fed money.

So I have to repay my dad what he paid. So since I have experience in programming more then hardware repair.

I thought I could get a job in programming or either pc repair since I am a certificate computer technician.

I thought I would be making good money well better then working at micky D's.

I even applied to family video and block buster they don't ask for a resume they only give you an application which you fill out.

I never got a interview. I would get e-mails from human resources saying they saw my resume on dice and thought that I fit their position that they are offering.

Well I hope I can get a job soon. I know the economy is bad. Yet I know there are still jobs out there but I personally think they are really picky. They want the best that will get paid less.

Thanks for the tips.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1