Beginner salutations

Yes im new, how about you?

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 684 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginner salutations

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hello everyone my name is Francisco (no i won't give out my ssn / too late?) and I have decided to learn about computers by quantum leaping. Coolest think i can do with a computer. Nothing l33t but I can open up command prompt and type in shutdown -s -t 50 -c "Envy me" -f. I think its cool to turn off explorer.exe in taskmanager and just use the computer using command prompt (makes me feel cool). I don't like to give up on things but like to nag and bug people for help because if I'm going to do something I like to know how it works. You may ask, "are you lazy" truth is I am. Reason for wanting to learn computer programing. I have the dream of someday making my own computer programs. I have made my pitty attempts at programing. For example I went to the ruby-lang.org website because I had made research and heard from many sources that ruby was the most simple for a beginner. I tried the browser tutorial and it was easy until a certain point then I was stuck. So I did more searching on ruby tutorials, found some but where really outdated. Then I found a program HacketyHack, as soon as i read the description I thought I hit jackpot. It's suppose to be for kids so I thought "It's in the bag" 5 minutes after using it I had more questions then when I started. Maybe it is suppose to be like that but the point I'm trying to make (if you haven't fallen asleep yet) is that there is no one I can ask for help. Don't get me wrong I did google parts i didn't understand but most often its too time consuming, I can't find that exact thing I'm looking for. After many weeks of frustration and searching I found this website, I thought "YEAHH!!!" because now i can speak to real humans. So i signed up right away.
What OS am I using? Microsoft windows XP home edition.
Yes I've heard the whole Linux better than Windows thing. It's all over the net. But hey its what i grew up with. What I like to do as a hobby google things about computers and read them. I think im cool but forget everything 5 minutes later. If I learn atleast one computer language that would be a really big accomplishment. I've decided to go with ruby that way once I and if I learn I can open up HacketyHack and laugh in its face! If you guys want to know anything about me or have any questions ask away.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner salutations

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner salutations

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

Well, first off I would like to welcome you to Dream in Code. Answering your description, no I am not guite as new as you, but I am definately not as old a member as some.

It is nice to see someone who is willing to do research on a given problem when they have on instead of goingout and asking people to do it for them first thing. That makes the whole helping out part a lot easier to do correctly.

I have not programmed in ruby, though I too have heard that it is a pretty easy, and fairly powerful language. I am more into C/C++, and web development mainly because that is where I started (web dev.).

You will be able to find quite a few people here at DIC to help you out with all of your computer needs.

I hope you enjoy your stay,
BetaWar
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

Nice to meet you, and welcome to Dream in Code! Theres a lot of people here willing to help out when you need it. In my opinion enough questions to drive some people nuts is a good thing. Better then not getting anaswer because nothing else is working for you, has long has you actualy do try yourself.

Been meaning to mess around with comand promts more myself.. much more interesting then a buch of titled buttons and all the other normal stuff right?

This post has been edited by ApocalypzOrigin: 06 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Welcome to DIC

View Post101101, on 6 Jan, 2009 - 04:43 PM, said:

What I like to do as a hobby google things about computers and read them. I think im cool but forget everything 5 minutes later.

I was just reading an article about this.

Anyways have fun becoming a "1337 coder" :snap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hi Francisco. Great intro! Nothing wrong with running Windows. If it gets the job done, then keep using it. I admire those people who have taken the time to learn Linux, but it's just not for me right now.

I'm glad you found us, and glad you registered! I hope you find what you're looking for. I think You'll find we have lots of experts in all kinds of languages.

Anyway, I'll see you around the forums! Don't be a stranger :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Hello 101101, & welcome to Dream In Code! Nice nick btw!

View Post101101, on 6 Jan, 2009 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yes I've heard the whole Linux better than Windows thing.

It's only better if it's better for you. Use what you like.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hi Francisco. I think I've found my twin! At least we are alike in this:

I don't like to give up on things but like to nag and bug people for help because if I'm going to do something I like to know how it works. You may ask, "are you lazy" truth is I am.

I have seen a few Ruby tutorials, and they were pretty good, but I couldn't get freeRIDE (Ruby IDE) to work on my computer. So I gave up on Ruby. It's okay because I like C and C++ better. That's one of the great things about programming languages, they have similarities. So once you understand the basics in one language it is much easier to learn another one.

See now you've got me talking about programming, and it's hard to stop. That's one of the wonderful things about this site, lots of people here love to talk about computers and programming! :wub: If you like those things you'll fit in quite well!

Welcome to the site. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

Thank you everyone for being so kind and encouraging. I can see right away that this website is truly different from others.
:wub:
About my nickname 101101 it is actually my school id. Class of 09 hopefully.
I was really happy when I entered my first year of high school and saw my id, right away I yelled "binary! sweet" I got home and first thing I did was open up a binary to text translator and it actually means -

"lots of people here love to talk about computers and programming!"

Yes I am also very happy about that because in school and with my friends I don't speak anything about computers because I don't want to seem like a nerd (Yes I am a Geek in hiding, nothing wrong with being a nerd - ehh to make it short you guys know how high school is).
Its nice that I can come here and spill my brains out about computers. I can get my Geek on (ohh man i think i over did it with that one / do l33t people use lol? idk)

When I first went to the ruby-lang.org website I tried the browser tutorial and found there was a problem with the tutorial so I emailed the website maintainer. Told me that he couldn't do anything about it and that I had to contact - why the lucky stiff. I didn't get in contact with him but soon i had tons of ideas for the ruby-lang.org website. I annoyed the guy so much he responded with this after a couple of emails.

"Thanks for the idea.

James Edward Gray II

P.S. Please send all emails about the Ruby website to the VIT Core mailing list (copied on this message), instead of me personally. This way the whole team can see what you are saying."
[email protected]

B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Sweet!! Your intro kicked ass! Nice to meet you!! I use Windows too! Makes it so much easier in class when everything works right! Firefox is the shit though!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Welcome!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -