c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

I have built an application for a client, but unfortunatly they dont h

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 1853 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2009 - 09:05 AM Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 twilightmoonxl  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 06-January 09

c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

Post icon  Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:59 AM

Hi Everyone,

Before christmas i built an application for a on going client, who is now refering me to other departments within the company as it has stured up a buzz so to speak
eg ohh new toy we must have.

I have come into abit of a snag, the original client my application was developered for has smtp available there for, it was easy enough to add an emailer to the app to notify multiple users when a severe error with the processing procedure has accured, which is fantastic and exactly what client #1 wanted.

But... client #2 and 3 and possibly other clients in the future do not have smtp available. so i need to research into other methods of notification.

My first thought was just a simple pop up messege, but that is soo noobishly flawed, as the whole point of the emailer system that client #1 has, was that
he and others didnt have to be in the plant looking at the panel screen, they could be alerted to any problems anytime anywhere as such.

My next idea that ive been trying to look into which i believe is flawed and can't seem to find out if its possible or logical was to have a lan based windows messege alert

So instead of the emailer fireing on critical errors with the processing procedure, it fires a internal lan messanger which pops up on any computer within that network.

That being said, i can't seem to find any information if that is possible.

Any advice knowledge is greatly appreciated


Feel i must also add, due to a previous thread being closed when i gave no implication to wanted code and stated i just needed peoples legislation knowlege on an application i have already built,so i will repeat my self, i am in no way asking for any code, im perfectly capable to build a second class to be used if smtp isnt available, just need a
push in the right direction as ive never come across this kind of unfamilier territory before.

Kind Regards

Twilightmoon (DMC)

*Blessed Be*

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

#2 baavgai  Icon User is offline

  • Dreaming Coder
  • member icon


Reputation: 6979
  • View blog
  • Posts: 14,602
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Re: c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:16 AM

If you can, set up a web service that can do email. Hook the application into the web service and have that web server do the email for you. Having a central point of contact gives you other advantages, like logging every email or even just creating a log and having the client poll to service for updates.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 twilightmoonxl  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 06-January 09

Re: c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:26 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 7 Jan, 2009 - 03:16 AM, said:

If you can, set up a web service that can do email. Hook the application into the web service and have that web server do the email for you. Having a central point of contact gives you other advantages, like logging every email or even just creating a log and having the client poll to service for updates.


Very Intresting, but unfortunatly and sorry i should of clarified, due to the nature of client #2 and 3 they do not have internet access where this application is going to be deployed, ive had abit more thought into it, and feel maybe sockets is he way to go.

E.G

Have a second application runing as a windows service (taskbar) on every computer connected to the network, then when the alarm sets of instead of an email, a message is sent to the windows service, which makes the taskbar icon flash, and inturn anyone that knows what it is can open it and see the last message sent.

I think the logic is there, just need to dig alittle deeper as ive never worked with sockets before.

Thank you for your reply baavgai, greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Twilightmoon (DMC)

*Blessed Be*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 twilightmoonxl  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 06-January 09

Re: c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

View Posttwilightmoonxl, on 7 Jan, 2009 - 03:26 AM, said:

View Postbaavgai, on 7 Jan, 2009 - 03:16 AM, said:

If you can, set up a web service that can do email. Hook the application into the web service and have that web server do the email for you. Having a central point of contact gives you other advantages, like logging every email or even just creating a log and having the client poll to service for updates.


Very Intresting, but unfortunatly and sorry i should of clarified, due to the nature of client #2 and 3 they do not have internet access where this application is going to be deployed, ive had abit more thought into it, and feel maybe sockets is he way to go.

E.G

Have a second application runing as a windows service (taskbar) on every computer connected to the network, then when the alarm sets of instead of an email, a message is sent to the windows service, which makes the taskbar icon flash, and inturn anyone that knows what it is can open it and see the last message sent.

I think the logic is there, just need to dig alittle deeper as ive never worked with sockets before.

Thank you for your reply baavgai, greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Twilightmoon (DMC)

*Blessed Be*



Seem to be on to something with sockets, i now have a seperate application ie apptly named listener, that sits in the taskbar untill the selected index in a textbox is change then the application is poped up into the centre of the screen.

I think it works very well , but im still intrested if anyone else has any ideas after reading the below description of whats happening.

The Monitoring Alarm is constantly open on the production floor showing values that it recieves from the db its linked to the data is being collated from 3 PLC's
And my stored procedure then calls the tables to create the data needed for the Monitoring Alarm.

The Monitoring Alarm is live and is actively watching for value changes that go above or below the danger values set by the clients.

When these values are hit or gone over or below it triggers my alarmmethod which did send an email out to multiple users, now it used my socketsend class which sends the same msg but over the port and ip address given.

The listener which is sitting on every users computer which needs to be notified of severe errors in the values, is sat in the taskbar listening out to the same port as the Monitoring Alarm, when it recieves an alarm message, this then fires my selected index changed event which opens the application from the taskbar to the desktop in the centre of the screen whilst sounds a notification alarm.

Any Feed back is greatly apperciated
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 baavgai  Icon User is offline

  • Dreaming Coder
  • member icon


Reputation: 6979
  • View blog
  • Posts: 14,602
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Re: c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Internet access isn't required for a web service. Just a network and a machine that can run the service. It doesn't even need to be a big, formal, SOAPy affair; like an http server, you can write a web service in just about anything.

What you're looking for with the alternate method you suggested is a "broadcast." Computers on a network will chatter about anything, Windows machines being the nosiest. Rather a standard broadcast, you probably want to pick a port to call your own. Have your client also be a server. Look at TcpListener and TcpClient in System.Network.Sockets.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 twilightmoonxl  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 06-January 09

Re: c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 7 Jan, 2009 - 07:42 AM, said:

Internet access isn't required for a web service. Just a network and a machine that can run the service. It doesn't even need to be a big, formal, SOAPy affair; like an http server, you can write a web service in just about anything.

What you're looking for with the alternate method you suggested is a "broadcast." Computers on a network will chatter about anything, Windows machines being the nosiest. Rather a standard broadcast, you probably want to pick a port to call your own. Have your client also be a server. Look at TcpListener and TcpClient in System.Network.Sockets.

Good luck.



Hi again Baavgai,

Look at the last post i did, isnt that what im already doing? using sockets to send some text to a second application that listens to the specified port? Broadcasting ill look into that.

P.s the last post i sent, that application and method ive alreayd created, and im using with the Alarm Monitoring app.

Was wondering if theres an alternative to sockets?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 baavgai  Icon User is offline

  • Dreaming Coder
  • member icon


Reputation: 6979
  • View blog
  • Posts: 14,602
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Re: c# Asp.net Alternative ways of Messeging

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

View Posttwilightmoonxl, on 7 Jan, 2009 - 09:55 AM, said:

Was wondering if theres an alternative to sockets?


Depends, sockets are the bottom of the abstraction layers, so all things networking will ultimately use them. One reason to use something with the http protocol is that the tools for that are a little more user friendly. But if you're listening, rather than just sending, you're probably stuck with sockets.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1