Page 1 of 1

13 Replies - 3589 Views - Last Post: 07 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

WPF... WTF morelike!

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:59 AM

So, it goes like this...

I'm doing a project at work, and decided to use WPF to create a front end for my c# application... and I figured, lets have some fun and use WPF, why the hell not.

And don't get me wrong - it's GREAT. I love the styles and everything, the data binding rocks, but for someone use to Windows Forms it has rocked the boat somewhat!

Things that I know I could easily have done in windows forms, ableit less stylishly, have thrown me big time in WPF.

Anyone else had a hard time adjusting?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: WPF... WTF morelike!

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: WPF... WTF morelike!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

I've been learning WPF since the begining. I held off for about 6 months since I really didn't know XML that well. When I created my first application with WPF, all I could think was "How can I make this better?".

It took until now, for WPF to take hold. And with a little help from Expression Blend, I'm able to create some great eye candy.

Now, I am in love with this framework. Imaginiation is truly the limits!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

it took a bit to get used to designing differently but i would never go back now. the flexibility of wpf is untouchable. once it clicks, u will be fine. just keep practicing and reading about it. it will click one day and you will be set. its not THAT different :P

just curious, what are you having trouble grasping in WPF? maybe i could help clarify anything.

This post has been edited by bflosabre91: 03 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hey bflosabre91, thanks, appreciate it. Luckily it's seemed to all fit into place now, for a while some of the stuff didn't make sense to me - little things like handling images, but now it all sorta seems pretty dam good! Now I've ahd a chance, I would never go back to WinForms, unless someone wanted a bog standard little program. I guess it's just all new concepts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Right now I'm going through the same thing with Silverlight. Silverlight business logic for the datagrid is less than stellar but once I figured out what was going on I didn't feel like shooting myself anymore! haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

WPF requires some time to adapt the existing solutions. However, it is quite rewarding as you will have really a lot of freedom when it comes to customization of the GUI.

Windows Forms and WPF are two different areas that are not intended to replace each other. WPF is more media-oriented, created to easily design multimedia applications both for Windows and for the web. WinForms is used to develop applications, that do not really need a lot of effects in the GUI and don't interact with various media elements.

This post has been edited by Core: 12 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

I guess it's different rather than morelike.

* WPF = Windows Presentation Foundation ( Computer field )

* WTF = Wednesday Thursday Friday. :bananaman:

_ Hell difference. hehe was just hitting up, don't mind.

[Sorry i revived the old post] :whistling:

This post has been edited by SourLemons: 28 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

View PostSourLemons, on 28 November 2010 - 03:12 PM, said:

* WTF = Wednesday Thursday Friday. :bananaman:

Not the definition of W.T.F. their using.
lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

View Postragingben, on 07 January 2009 - 06:59 AM, said:

Things that I know I could easily have done in windows forms, ableit less stylishly, have thrown me big time in WPF.

I feel your pain mate. A good example of this is assigning hot keys. In WinForms you can assign a keystroke to a menu option in about 1 second. In WPF its a painful wiring of commands and obscurity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 07 September 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

View Postragingben, on 07 January 2009 - 06:59 AM, said:

I feel your pain mate. A good example of this is assigning hot keys. In WinForms you can assign a keystroke to a menu option in about 1 second. In WPF its a painful wiring of commands and obscurity.

Wow, old thread!

It does feel this way a lot of the time, but other things are quicker. Overall I think it pays off. I'm stilll plugging away at the same peice of software that post was about in 2009 and I'm still learning bits and bobs but the overall user experience far exceeds anything I could have achieved in winforms in the same time had I gone that route.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

I hadn't seen you doing much lately - I had to prod at you a little and get out and about.

The thread was one that came up as a 'related thread' at the bottom of some other thread... so I thought I'd rattle your cage.

I've been plugging away at WPF as well. I made the decision that all of our releases from end 2011 are WPF. It has definitely made things look more up to date, but also forced all of us to re-examine our styles and do things more properly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Continuing with the old thread posting trend I just have to throw my 2 cents in, I was a late adopter of WPF (talking December last year) and had been using Windows Forms for a hell of a long time before that.

I could write a custom control in WPF with my multi-threaded prettiness for display and get things working great in a short space of time. WPF made me throw up a few times, well, not WPF but XAML in general. Even writing a Windows Phone app came as something completely new, different and eugh.

10 months into this, I'm now in love with WPF and use it even for the smallest of projects that even before I would have mocked in WinForms. Now it feels almost as natural to write XAML as it does to write up HTML. The only downside I think is the sheer amount of attributes that can end up on a single element, yes I know I could mark it up differently, or with styles, but it's more painful and slow. Still, that's not enough to put me off entirely :)

At work using WPF for all new software projects and love it here so it's all good!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

The one thing that bugs that crap out of me, and I have not researched for WPF, is lack of window inheritance.

In WPF you could design a form, get it all good, then just change the language property to have VS spin off a different resource for German or Russian or whatever. You can't do that in WPF.

I had designed base level UserControls in WinForms then inherited for my specific versions... Basically a 'scanner' control, then inherited for 'BarcodeScanner', 'RfidScanner', 'MagstriperScanner' and so on. Again, WPF windows can't inherit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Good points all around. I also write every little program in WPF these days, it just feels natural to do it that way now!

Yeah I haven't been on DIC (that sounds pretty wrong!) much for a long time, not for a lack of trying but just been pretty busy with other things, less time at work to check the boards etc. Good to see the old faces still on here though!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1