4 Replies - 1053 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Turning down a "promotion"

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

I was just offered a job by a previous employer that, by all accounts, seems like a promotion. I'd be moving from senior developer to architect. It sounded good until I heard the description. Basically I'd be designing and then working with teams in Argentina and Mexico City (where my previous job with this employer was outsourced to) to implement. I was told that I would get some development work, but that it would mostly be production bug fixes. I don't love some of the stuff that I'm doing now, but it's a lot more interesting than that sounds. Plus I'm set to get a lot of EJB 3.0 development work in a few weeks, so things are improving. I know that I made the right decision, but it kind of sucks that, once you get to a certain level, a promotion seems to entail taking on management roles and giving up what you love to do in order to advance and make more money. I've always said that I'll continue developing on some level for as long as I can, but sometimes I wonder if that's really feasible. Are there "coding" managers/architects out there who are spending 50% of the time or more coding? Thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Turning down a "promotion"

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Turning down a "promotion"

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

sometimes theres room for flexbility in job offers (consultancy, assitance?)
however working from home suits me, I spend about six months coding and designing then take a loooong break on the beach 5-6 months so about 50 percent haha....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

Yeah I figured it was something that was negotiable (most things are). I was just wondering how common it was.

Spending 5-6 months on the beach eh? Make sure you're investing and saving for retirement while you're drinking pina coladas. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Many people pass up money to do what they love. Take many (not all) high school teachers. My Stats teacher won't make any more than $52,000 a year - he's made it to the top.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

I have had a similar situation in the past and I went with going for what I love to do than to advance to the next level. If you are not doing what you love to do then you are going to be doing things you don't care for as much and even if you do get paid more, you will probably be required to work more doing that stuff you don't like and then where will you be?

If you are doing ok with where you are at and you love what you do, don't feel bad passing up a promotion. Let the employer know that you are honored that they considered you but you are of more value to the company if you can continue doing what it is that you were born to do. Maybe some day they will give you a bit more money for doing the same thing you have been doing for all these years. (You can dream at least)

I think you made the right choice. Follow your heart if the money you are getting already is sufficient. Don't let the dark cloud of greed put out the enjoyment you get from programming.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1