4 Replies - 1018 Views - Last Post: 20 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

A Simple File Server

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I want to set up a file server just for being able to access files remotely through a LAN (not over the internet). It's possible I would be doing remote backups, also. In some cases the data would need to be very secure. It will also be using hot swappable hard drives (more than likely).

I was looking at FreeNAS, and I've messed around with Ubuntu quite a bit. I've got a 64-bit of Windows XP Professional I could stick on it, but I'm thinking that's not too great of an idea.

What are some of your experiences? How do professional business do it? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Fuzz

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A Simple File Server

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A Simple File Server

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

I've worked for a few places that have used Samba shares to connect the Unix, Linux, & Windows worlds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have heard good things about FreeNAS before and its built off BSD so its stable. That said I have never actually used it cause I went with NAS Lite due to issues with FreeNAS. BSD for some reason does not like the motherboard that is in my Dell PowerEdge because how the power management on the BIOS level works.

In anycase I would say FreeNAS is going to be the the smallest footprint, fastest, and more easy to setup. Unbuntu is great but if its just NAS you are looking for, then theirs a lot of wasted space that the OS takes up. This also applies with windows, but both of those will giving you some more options which can be handy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

This is really great if you can punch out the money for it.

Rather expensive, but top quality. Actually it wasn't really my choice, was just looking at ideas :).

Networked attached storage is pretty easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

hey this migjht help. this software is amazing and just like any other server you have to open the ports on your router.
active server
if your looking for remote desktop try
yuuguu
hope it helps
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1