Web Development: Browser Application with perl/python

Web Development: Browser Application with perl/python is possible how.

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1274 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Development: Browser Application with perl/python

Post icon  Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:21 AM

View PostKittenKoder, on 13 Aug, 2008 - 06:08 AM, said:

I have written in Java, C++, ASM, etc. for many years but Python is new to me still. I can write script code for it easily, even made a chat program. But there is one question I have not found a good answer to, and I have searched everywhere. How would I write a GUI Tkinter chat to run INSIDE the browser like a Java Applet? What would be the best, smallest, fastest, and most compatible software for this? I keep finding references to a few option but everytime I look into them either they say nothing about Ptyhon or they are clunky and too complicated for a normal user to impliment (I need on that would be easy for anyone to install). Anyone have any ideas or experiences on this they would like to share please do, with links if possible.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Development: Browser Application with perl/python

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Development: Browser Application with perl/python

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

View Postdeba2008, on 9 Jan, 2009 - 02:21 AM, said:

View PostKittenKoder, on 13 Aug, 2008 - 06:08 AM, said:

How would I write a GUI Tkinter chat to run INSIDE the browser like a Java Applet? What would be the best, smallest, fastest, and most compatible software for this? I keep finding references to a few option but everytime I look into them either they say nothing about Ptyhon or they are clunky and too complicated for a normal user to impliment (I need on that would be easy for anyone to install). Anyone have any ideas or experiences on this they would like to share please do, with links if possible.

You're probably not going to find anything similar to a java applet in the python world, at least, not in any portable version. It would require porting a Python VM to each browser, and that's just not fun.

If you're wanting to make rich, interactive applications in the browser, I suggest you take a look at pyjamas. It's an alternative to Google's GWT platform, but using Python instead of Java. It compiles to HTML/JS. It's quite nice, although I can't speak for its scalability, as I've only used it on small applications.

Cheers,
Paul
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Web Development: Browser Application with perl/python

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

jython compiles python into java byte code. Also, anything with CORBA bindings can be put into an applet, which python has.

The hows and whys of these, however, are rather large.

Hope this helps,
-Jerome
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1