• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1783 Views - Last Post: 12 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Buying a laptop

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Alright, so I'm in my junior year of high school and have enough money to buy either the white macbook (found a deal: $1000 for a 2.4ghz, 160gb hd, 2gb RAM, Leapord OSX) or a gateway MD2601u ($650: 2.1ghz, 250gb hdd, 3gb RAM, Windows VistaHome Premium). Whichever laptop i choose will most likely carry me through college, so I'm putting a lot of thought into this. From a programming point of view, it would be better for me to buy windows; also because it is compatible with most hardware. From an everyday point of view, the macbook would be better because it is very portable and Leapord OSX seems to be a pretty stable OS with lots of cool features. I'm leaning towards the gateway but i could use some input.
Macbook
Gateway (first one)

Thanks

This post has been edited by xCraftyx: 09 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Buying a laptop

• I'm pretty good with a laser mouse..
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Buying a laptop

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad dude!

Read this thread and you will know why...

http://www.dreaminco...wtopic76449.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

Well, I would personally go with the Gateway laptop out of these 2, but I am not a mac person.

If I had a wider range of choices I would probably go with HP. I am currently using an HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC, which comes with a 2ghz processor, 2gb RAM, and a 220gb Hard Drive. I like it okay, it isn't the best thing in the world, but it runs and is pretty studry (I have dropped it 2 or 3 times and it still works fine).

I would stay away from Toshiba, they just seem to have a ton of problems.

As for Gateway, they make good PCs (I have had my Gateway PC for like 7 years at this point, without any problems), so if you want to go that route it will probably be okay.

If you are wanting to stay away from Vista (I can understand as many people seem to hate it) you may want to just save your money for a little while and get a laptop at the end of senior year in HS, that way you may be able to get Windows 7 on a laptop and all the tech will have been upgraded by then.

That is just my $0.02, so do with it what you will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

Thinkpads are absolute garbage. Then again, when I had access to one it had Windows ME on it :o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

View PostxCraftyx, on 9 Jan, 2009 - 03:37 PM, said:

Alright, so I'm in my junior year of high school and have enough money to buy either the white macbook (found a deal: $1000 for a 2.4ghz, 160gb hd, 2gb RAM, Leapord OSX) or a gateway MD2601u ($650: 2.1ghz, 250gb hdd, 3gb RAM, Windows VistaHome Premium). Whichever laptop i choose will most likely carry me through college, so I'm putting a lot of thought into this. From a programming point of view, it would be better for me to buy windows; also because it is compatible with most hardware. From an everyday point of view, the macbook would be better because it is very portable and Leapord OSX seems to be a pretty stable OS with lots of cool features. I'm leaning towards the gateway but i could use some input.
Macbook
Gateway (first one)

Thanks

Well seeing vista will basically not run properly on a 3GB of RAM machine, I would go with the macbook. I'm in university right now and using a mac for developing and it's awsome!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

View PostWinstinology, on 9 Jan, 2009 - 03:42 PM, said:

Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad dude!

Read this thread and you will know why...

http://www.dreaminco...wtopic76449.htm

Lol that's pretty nice, i don't really like IBM laptops though

View PostBetaWar, on 9 Jan, 2009 - 03:48 PM, said:

Well, I would personally go with the Gateway laptop out of these 2, but I am not a mac person.

If I had a wider range of choices I would probably go with HP. I am currently using an HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC, which comes with a 2ghz processor, 2gb RAM, and a 220gb Hard Drive. I like it okay, it isn't the best thing in the world, but it runs and is pretty studry (I have dropped it 2 or 3 times and it still works fine).

I would stay away from Toshiba, they just seem to have a ton of problems.

As for Gateway, they make good PCs (I have had my Gateway PC for like 7 years at this point, without any problems), so if you want to go that route it will probably be okay.

If you are wanting to stay away from Vista (I can understand as many people seem to hate it) you may want to just save your money for a little while and get a laptop at the end of senior year in HS, that way you may be able to get Windows 7 on a laptop and all the tech will have been upgraded by then.

That is just my $0.02, so do with it what you will.

I can't seem to find an HP laptop with the specs i want. I need the laptop now because im getting into the 2nd semester and i need to start worrying about my term paper and a lot of writing assignments, also i have lectures with powerpoint slides and my teachers are merciless so they go really fast. The looseleaf in my binders is starting to fall out too so i'm becoming less organized...

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 9 Jan, 2009 - 04:17 PM, said:

Well seeing vista will basically not run properly on a 3GB of RAM machine, I would go with the macbook. I'm in university right now and using a mac for developing and it's awsome!

I heard that vista can run on a 3gb machine, it just doesn't recognize that 3rd gb. I would probably install windows xp anyway but I'm not sure

The thing that turned me off of macs the most is the issue of compatibility, a lot of my friends that have macs can't use the school's printers and have problems with our wireless network. Also i would be getting the 13.3inch white macbook, everybody that loves macs seem to have the macbook pro; which is way out of my price range. Even the white macbook is pushing it..

Damn i didn't see the 7.3lbs at the bottom lol. The most i really want to go is 6lbs

This post has been edited by xCraftyx: 09 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

The old IBM Thinkpads were pretty rugged, I have a 600e running Debian Linux for my Mom. The OS it came with really doesn't matter... The newer models are produced by Lenovo though, and everything I've read about them suggests that they aren't very high quality.

When you buy a Mac you're paying for the privilege of having a Mac, not quality. I like Macs, but I would never buy one at the prices they sell them.

Whatever you do, do not buy HP unless you plan on reinstalling the OS anyways.

I would personally recommend that you go with a Dell (as that's what I have).

http://www.dell.com/business/laptops

You can get XP installed on most of those. Buy Business because they don't load any crap on.

32bit Windows can't recognize more than 4gb of ram. Doesn't matter if it's Vista or XP.

http://www.dell.com/...u...&mo=6~8400M

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5670 (1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista Business Bonus-Windows XP Professional downgrade
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive with Roxio Creator
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
250GB1 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS (64 bit)
High Definition Audio 2.0
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card
6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
1 Year Basic Limited Warranty2 and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service3
Integrated 1.3MP Web Camera and Digital Microphone

$724
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

I can't stand Dell laptops, I would prefer to stick with gateway. The max i would get is 4gb or RAM anyway, and the new gateway im looking at (Here) has fantastic specs for the price (including 3gb of RAM to start with, slim chance i would be upgrading)

This post has been edited by xCraftyx: 09 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

One thing you may not have considered here is virtualization: have you got any windows XP install CD's lying around? If you do and the Macbook you're looking at is an Intel Mac(pretty sure all the Leopard ones are, but could be wrong), for another $80 you could get VMWare Fusion and install Windows on your mac - at which point you can use whichever you like.

Alternately, you could use Boot Camp to dual-boot your Macbook - allowing you to choose between either OS anytime you needed to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

View Postgirasquid, on 9 Jan, 2009 - 08:13 PM, said:

One thing you may not have considered here is virtualization: have you got any windows XP install CD's lying around? If you do and the Macbook you're looking at is an Intel Mac(pretty sure all the Leopard ones are, but could be wrong), for another $80 you could get VMWare Fusion and install Windows on your mac - at which point you can use whichever you like.

Alternately, you could use Boot Camp to dual-boot your Macbook - allowing you to choose between either OS anytime you needed to.

that's what i've been thinking, leopard comes with bootcamp though and i can just dual boot it anyway. I would probably take windows XP professional off of this computer and install it on a laptop regardless of the OS. But if I buy a mac and just install windows and don't use leopard, why should i spent the extra $400?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

I'd say go with the one that is not a Mac. I'm not going to go on my usual rant about Macs and the workarounds necessary to get them working properly in a heterogeneous environment, because it's been said enough. Just suffice it to say that you're life will be easier. I bought my mom a computer several weeks ago and the only option was Vista. I got her Vista Home because it was the closest to what she'd had on her previous machine (XP). It runs like a champ on 3GB - probably partly due to it not having Aero.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

Thing is i can just run parallels if i need to use windows xp now. I went to the apple store and had one of the people walk me through osx. Decided i'll get the $1300 one, more expensive but i think a better choice in the long run. Thanks for the input guys
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

You're welcome - and good luck!

I have one last comment to make on this: the difference between a macbook pro and a regular macbook is negligible, and if you don't need the specs that a macbook pro will give you, you shouldn't spend the money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

That's good to hear, i think the macbook pro is a bit overboard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:39 AM

buy ur laptop with linux preinstalled and save urself a crap loada money. (200-400 $.. depending on the bundled packages) Then if you realllly need access to windows download a free version of xp and dual boot.

bt then again u've already decided... sigh...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +