5 Replies - 957 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

mySQL vs Oracle

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

A lot of my professors have been giving out advice as to which database we as students should become most familiar with. Some say mySQL is more widely used, others give their vote to Oracle...im particularly a fan of mySQL...what are your opinions and which do you think is the most (or going to be the most) widely used in application.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: mySQL vs Oracle

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: mySQL vs Oracle

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

I think it depends on what you are doing. I would say that the business world is going to go more towards Oracle and the freelancers and people who are doing websites on there own will go for the MySQL.

Don't get me wrong I bet there are big companies out there that use MySQL too but I am just saying what I have seen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

i see lots of mysql i hardly see programs (that you can use) that are written for oricle though there probly is some out there
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

There seems to be a correlation between Oracle preference and *nix preference (Unix,Linux) where as mySQL users seem to be on Windows
Though i have used mySQL on a linux machine before and not Oracle...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

MySQL is open source and started out life as much simpler beast than it is now. It is the choice for the free software based web server back ends. Yes, you'll see lots of example using it.

Oracle is an industry leader. It's not open source. In fact, it's one of the most expensive. Just basic maintenance for a midsized company can run hundreds of thousands of dollars. It often runs very large datastores, where a daily transactions are measured in terabytes. In terms of value added toys, there's probably no one close. Microsoft SQL Server has carved up some of it's market share based mostly on price and ease of maintenance. But MS can't touch Oracle when the things get stupid big. MySQL isn't even close.

You don't see Oracle used by little guys. And, to some extent, that's the point. Big guys want the big company to hold their hand. They're willing to pay the big bucks. They're willing to pay for a DBA. On some sites, that's a full time job. No developing, no system admin, just making sure the giant, complex Oracle database is available 24x7 and the backups are verified and safe.

If you want to maintain databases for a living, Oracle is the clear choice. If you're an application developer, you can get by on just about anything. If you're deploying a website, database transaction speed is less of a bottlenet than web server latency. So MySQL works just fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

I think that pretty much sums it up. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -