6 Replies - 1330 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

need help with strato hosting

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Scott Bell (me)bought us a (.co.uk) domain for a christmas present. He made a typing error and we have phoned Strato to change this. They refused to change the domain name and then asked for proof of age. Then they refused us the ability to change it because we were under the age of 18. We then rang again to ask why, then they said that they were closing down the domains (incl. Scotts) as of the next day(11/01/09). When buying the domain George was with Scott and no proof of age was required for buying the domain. when looking at Strato's terms and conditions, we discovered nothing about age. Now, they have suspended our accounts just after we have paid 69 for another year. Please help... in our opinion, Strato are being quite unreasonable.

I' under 18 too

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: need help with strato hosting

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: need help with strato hosting

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

Time to get a parent involved who can call them up, verify for the credit card used and get the thing straightened out. Typically the only reason age would come into play is when there is a credit card involved for which the domain is being billed to. So if you used your card and your name is on the credit card used then there is no reason why they can't make the changes. However, do keep in mind that they are more than within their right to recharge you for the domain name reregistration.

* Note: Despite it being your mistake on the spelling of the domain, they did register it and it will cost them more to reregister a new one (which they will have to change your domain name).

Remember that hosts actually register the name on your behalf to a registrar.

If your parent is on the card that you used for billing then they are the ones that should be able to solve the situation with them and come to an agreement. If worst comes to worst and they have yet to charge your card or cash a check, put a stop to the transaction.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 10 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

thanks,
yes i know the recharge would apply?
The customer service was funny with being kids i said i'm doing early exams don't treat me thick.I may not be as mature as you but when you talk to me as if i'm a petty child.
So thanks for the help this is why <dreamincode</> is the best and will get a parent to help

edit
Its my card has my name on it payed for the order my mates name is on the hosting address but i have the billing address.

This post has been edited by sbell1099: 10 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 10 Jan, 2009 - 12:03 PM, said:

* Note: Despite it being your mistake on the spelling of the domain, they did register it and it will cost them more to reregister a new one (which they will have to change your domain name).

This is always in the terms of service agreement. Like Martyr2 pointed out, they would have to register another domain for you, if it's even available. You can't simply change the spelling. Theoretically, one could register Gooogglle.com & then say, oh, I misspelled that, I need it to be Google.com, but Google.com isn't available.

Plus, they'll now be with one useless domain. What if you made a spelling error in the 2nd registration. Now they have to register a 3rd, & now have 2 useless domain names.

It just doesn't make financial sense to offer correction of domain registration for a hosting company. Again, I have never seen one yet that didn't have this in their agreement when you sign up & try to register a domain name.

View Postsbell1099, on 10 Jan, 2009 - 11:54 AM, said:

I' under 18 too

The biggest problem is going to be how this account was set up. If it is registered to & paid for by your friend, then the hosting company, actually, is obligated not to offer you service, nor provide any help over the phone. It simply isn't yours. Now if he setup it up under your name, but paid for it himself (since it was a gift), then that is an oversight on their part, & as Martyr2 pointed out, get someone over 18, like the registers parents whom probably fronted the bill, to call in & get this straighted out.

But as far as this being a gift... I could call in & say it's mine. Should they offer me help? How are they to know the difference in the situation? This is why they will only work with whom registered the service.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

This is always in the terms of service agreement. Like Martyr2 pointed out, they would have to register another domain for you, if it's even available. You can't simply change the spelling. Theoretically, one could register Gooogglle.com & then say, oh, I misspelled that, I need it to be Google.com, but Google.com isn't available.

Well we was going to pay for the dormain.We know the price is 2.99 for the reregistration.The other dormain is available we have checked.

Next

The biggest problem is going to be how this account was set up. If it is registered to & paid for by your friend, then the hosting company, actually, is obligated not to offer you service, nor provide any help over the phone. It simply isn't yours. Now if he setup it up under your name, but paid for it himself (since it was a gift), then that is an oversight on their part, & as Martyr2 pointed out, get someone over 18, like the registers parents whom probably fronted the bill, to call in & get this straighted out.

I payed for it using my account(my card i'm allowed a debit card at 11 in england)but i'm 14.So the person i registered the account for george was present at the registration.Its in georges name and his dormain for what he wants.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

Just a note.
This was sorted.George calle dup got a full refund.
They treated him like a child then we recorded the call.When george put them on hold but becasuse I were in the call(done on skype).I got them sayinh hes a stupid boy whos mothers probley abuser and poor parent.Well this to unacceptable.

SO i called them up and damn and to speak the manager.Oh and i was fumming.Its all sorted now I have a full refund on its way they said it may take upto 90days its been about 60.

Ye si got a compensation vochuter.
Not much but yes any way
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1