7 Replies - 5699 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2009 - 12:45 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

C# the language of the future? ~Is it worth learning?

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

OK i have already made my decision that i am learning c# instead of C/C++
REASONS;
Apparently it is a high level language meaning it has all the tools you need built into it where as in C you will have to program them yourself,
It a a rapidly growing language for game programming,
You can use some thing called XNA to make games in C# for your xbox or windows computer!
Also if your a good enough developer you can publish your games on XBL and get paid!

Seems like good reasons to me ... How easy is it too learn i dont really mind i just want to know, I will learn it not just because i want to and passion for programming but to prove all those arrogant gits who say well your only 13 so you probaly wont be able to do it... I hat those people.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# the language of the future? ~Is it worth learning?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: C# the language of the future? ~Is it worth learning?

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Not a bad choice you've made there in my opinion. C# is a very easy language to learn if I have to say it. Even if it's not THE language of the future it certainly builds upon all the principles of modern programming like OOP and event based programming. Once you start getting the feeling of the language it is very easy to expand your skills within it and there's always more to learn and explore.
And as you pointed out it is indeed rapidly growing. It's not even 10 years old and it's about to hit version 4.0 and the implementations over the previous versions have been great.
I have to say that I have enjoyed every moment that I've spent with this language. Sure it does have it limitiations and flaws but the general workflow and great possibilities makes up for this by far. So I say go ahead and start learning. You'll suddenly find yourself oddly hungry for more and more knowledge. I know that's what has happened to me at least.

//EDIT:
Oh and as for XNA I can throw a comment there as well. I've been working with that for a while now and I absolutely love it. It does have some performance issues but it is very easy and if you have a good understanding of C# the possibilities are pretty much infinite. The implementation of the content pipeline makes the link between data and code simpler than ever and allows you to spend even more time with the actual cool parts of it: The Coding.

Happy coding
Sigurd

This post has been edited by SigurdSuhm: 10 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

View PostSigurdSuhm, on 10 Jan, 2009 - 02:26 PM, said:

Not a bad choice you've made there in my opinion. C# is a very easy language to learn if I have to say it. Even if it's not THE language of the future it certainly builds upon all the principles of modern programming like OOP and event based programming. Once you start getting the feeling of the language it is very easy to expand your skills within it and there's always more to learn and explore.
And as you pointed out it is indeed rapidly growing. It's not even 10 years old and it's about to hit version 4.0 and the implementations over the previous versions have been great.
I have to say that I have enjoyed every moment that I've spent with this language. Sure it does have it limitiations and flaws but the general workflow and great possibilities makes up for this by far. So I say go ahead and start learning. You'll suddenly find yourself oddly hungry for more and more knowledge. I know that's what has happened to me at least.

Happy coding
Sigurd

Thanks you've made me want to learn it even more i think ill buy a book soon but they cost like 30 !!!
Oh an i take it Visual C# Express edition will do for the editor and compiler?

This post has been edited by jamillion: 10 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

C# is the heart of Microsoft's .NET framework. One of Microsoft's goals is to ultimately put their OS (i.e. Windows) on top of that framework. It's not going away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

View Postjamillion, on 10 Jan, 2009 - 05:29 PM, said:

Thanks you've made me want to learn it even more i think ill buy a book soon but they cost like 30 !!!
Oh an i take it Visual C# Express edition will do for the editor and compiler?

The Express editions of Visual Studio have just about everything that the full versions do. One kind of major feature they are missing is the "Setup and Deployment" Projects. These projects allow you to create installers for your applications. However, I believe there are free applications that will do the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

definitely learn c#, I cant speak highly enough on its behalf. but definitely learn c++ too. It will help you become more efficient with c#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

I will agree with fremgenc. C# is awesome and even if you never do use C++ exclusively for a project, knowing some of how it works and how it has evolved from that into C# will make you a better programmer in many ways.

For to study C++ is to study the past of C#. It will also make you greatly appreciate what is under the hood of C# and show you ways of doing things in case you want to twist C# a little.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

I would not call C# or any language, at that matter, "a language of the future" - it's the multitude of languages that you know that can provide you for the future at one point of life or another. MHO.

This post has been edited by ValPaliy: 11 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1