Inventory System

My first thesis

Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 12975 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2009 - 10:30 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Inventory System

Post icon  Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

Im so bother about my first thesis...
I decided to develope an inventory system using visual basic!
I still have 2 1/2 months to finish that, but until now, i dont have idea about that even the interface or the feature of that program ?
May you give an idea about that? please help me.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Inventory System

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Inventory System

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

First of all if you are doing this for a thesis then I would make sure you run it by your professor just to make sure it is of the appropriate scope. Often times an inventory system is not complex enough to be considered thesis quality.

As for how to go about tackling such a project, there are many resource threads on the board about how to build inventory systems in a variety of languages. So much so that I have even put together some of the basics of a product inventory system on my blog. It is not done in visual basic but you can get an idea of the parts...

Martyr2's Programming Underground - Parts 1 - 3 of Product / Inventory Project

The idea behind it is that you create a class called "Product" which keeps track of a specific item in inventory. It has things like quantity on hand, price, and able to calculate that products inventory value (quantity * price).

The second class is "inventory" and will manage an array/collection of multiple product classes. It will allow your system to add products to inventory, remove them, and calculate the total value of all items in inventory.

For a thesis program you may need to implement additional functionality such as adding products based on various base prices, automatic reordering of low supplies, calculating tax on various rates, generate reports, keep track of sold items etc.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of where to start. Ultimately you will want to write down all the features of the system first, design something on paper that describes the features and then program it in visual basic according to specifications.

Good luck to you. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1