Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1092 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online Degree?

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

I was just browsing the web and I stumbled upon this:

http://www.earnmydeg...ation/bachelor/

I haven`t looked it over, but there are some interesting things. So I was wondering what are you`re thoughts on this.

Is something like this worth taking up?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online Degree?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online Degree?

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

Well online degrees are becoming more and more prevalent in the world today and slowly making their way, but they have a long ways to go before becoming accepted by a large number of companies.

The problem is that they have no name for themselves and their standards are not really held accountable like a major university would be. Companies, for better or for worse, would trust an institution that they have heard of than some online course that they haven't any day of the week.

So I wouldn't invest too much of yourself or your money into one of those things over a degree that can actually be visited and looked up by employers.

This is not to say online degrees are bad, they are just not generally viewed in a positive light yet. They have a lot of promise and as they become more accepted by the corporate world at large then it might be worth looking into further.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

The value of a degree is not actually in the knowledge it imparts, but in the respect in conveys. Those with the best reputation theoretically have the most well educated graduates, but you could reasonably learn just as much from some dinky little college no one has ever heard of.

Part of what a traditional degree says is, "they toughed out two to four years or more of the system and made it out the other end." An online degree simply won't convey that

This all depends on how the HR department feels about it. But currently, online degrees don't seem to get any respect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

Depends on who is offering it. University of Maryland does online classes/programs, etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

KYA brought up a valid point. If the degree is from a respectable college, go for it. However, don't just go for an online degree that you have never heard of. Also, let me ask you a question: are you currently employed? If so, talk to your employer about it because a lot of times companies will help pay for (if not completely pay for it). Get their input on the degree program as well. If you're not employed, I would stick to a respectable/well known college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1