7 Replies - 1654 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

uncommon request - 2 apache servers on a pc

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I have an apparently uncommon situation that I need help with. Here's the deal:

We are running an old version of apache(2.0.550) with php running as a fast-cgi module because we are using MapGuide OpenSource, but we want to host a different app. on the same server that requires an Oracle DB connection. We wanted to use the same apache server, but it wouldn't work because there is some sort of incompatibility where when starting up, apache throws a few unhandled exception errors. So, we found out that apache 2.2.10 runs the php_oci8.dll extension just fine. When only running one apache server at a time, there are no exceptions thrown. But when I start the old server for MapGuide, of course, the exceptions are thrown immediately.

Oh, and our single php.ini file is referenced by each server, so if I have the oci8 extension active, it gets loaded by each server.

Does anyone know of a way to run these 2 servers simultaneously and prevent the exceptions from occurring?

Thanks for any assistance.

EDIT - I think I posted this in the wrong thread. Any way to get it moved?

This post has been edited by manafi: 13 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: uncommon request - 2 apache servers on a pc

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: uncommon request - 2 apache servers on a pc

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

View Postmanafi, on 13 Jan, 2009 - 12:06 PM, said:

Does anyone know of a way to run these 2 servers simultaneously and prevent the exceptions from occurring?

On Unix & Linux systems, it's common place to setup Virutal IP Addresses, thus creating multiple servers on a single system. Just be aware than only one of them (to my knowledge) can listen to port 80 requests.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

Thank you.

This hasn't quite solved my problem, but you have got me moving in a positive direction, hopefully towards a solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

If you use Virtual Hosts, you can have seperate apache configs for each virtual host for things like php, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Right now, our main problem is that we want to use only php installation with 2 apache servers. In the .ini file, if we have a certain extension loading(oci8), it throws exceptions with one of the servers(2.0.5). Ideally, we'd like to have a separate php.ini file for each apache server to only load the extension on the correct server.

I already have separate apache config files but they both are accessing the same php.ini file.

We like things complicated around here ;) (not really, but due to the fact that our php installation came bundled with apache in the MapGuide installation, and we don't want to bloat the current system or require a new machine just to run apache for this new app, we are stuck with this crap custom configuration).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

UPDATE: we have solved this issue, thanks for the help.

I hope it's alright to change the direction of this topic.

Here's the new deal:

apache server 1, v. 2.2.10, listening on port 80 w/ alias jobboard
apache server 2, v. 2.0.55, listening on port 8018 w/ alias mapping

I have no problem setting up the virtual host directives for jobboard. But, my superior would like to see people issue a request like http://mapping in the browser(which should go to port 8018 on server2) and have it do the necessary handling to make the service show up without the users having to concern themselves with port numbers.

Obviously, the initial request would come in on port 80(unless there is a way on the backend to nix that happening), so I would have to somehow redirect to port 8018 and handle virtual hosting stuff there. Everything I have been trying is not working to allow me to redirect without showing something like http://mapping:8018 in the url.

Is it possible to accomplish this with redirection from one server to another port on another server?

If more clarification and/or portions of .conf files are needed, I can provide.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

I just want to make sure that I understand what you are asking.

check this url : http://webmail.akroncdnr.com & then see the URL where you end up.

If that is what you are looking to do, I'll post the rules that I set up in my virutal host configuration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

Ultimately, yes, that is what we were trying to do; however, we didn't want to have to show the port number in the url. We wanted it to be transparent to the user that they were connecting to any port other than the default http port.

But, I was informed, flat out by our IT staff, that it was impossible to do that without showing the port number. Because of this, my superior has decided to go ahead and just have a VM for the website.

Thanks for all of your help, and I am sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1