Which is better and why?

What is the differnce between wfa and wfp

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1714 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2009 - 10:27 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which is better and why?

Post icon  Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Well I am still kind of new to c#, but what is the big difference between windows form app and Windows Presentation Foundation? I was reading the book c# 2008 john sharp and it was saying that a wpf can do more then the wfa? I was wonder what is the better one to use does it depened on what app you plane on making?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which is better and why?

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which is better and why?

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

WPF is suppose to be more "graphical" and "pretty". One big con of WPF is that it doesn't have a DataGridView. I use DataGridViews a lot to display data to users, so that is a big con for me.

WPF is also newer. WPF was added to .Net in version 3.0. WFA has been in .Net since the beginning. This makes WFA more "complete" since Microsoft has had longer to polish it.

As for which is better, both will get the job done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which is better and why?

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

WPF is a graphical subsystem for .NET. What does that mean? It means that it is a group of functionality designed to develop very rich and very interactive applications. Paraphrasing eclipsed's great answer... "it is eye candy". Now that is not to say it isn't powerful or in any way inferior. In fact it is much more high end graphic wise than a standard application is.

I assume you have heard of Silverlight right? Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Flash. Silverlight is a web based subset of the WPF. As you have probably seen of Silverlight it is very interactive and very "flash" like in appearance.

The WPF can be run in a windows app as well as on the net like Silverlight is doing.

It is great at handling 3D shapes, animations, and many video formats. I personally think of it like a graphics engine. Much in the same way XNA would be for game development, WPF is for interactive "presentation" applications that might be in line with something like a business app.

Your winform crunches the numbers, gives it to WPF to make a colorful 3D piechart which the user can zoom in on, turn, compare etc.

P.S. Can you trim down the sig graphic a bit. It is huge and is violating signature rules here on the DIC board. Thanks a bunch.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 13 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1