• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1917 Views - Last Post: 04 September 2003 - 07:12 AM

• "Sorry, that isn't something we support."

• View blog

New Portfolio Site

Posted 31 August 2003 - 03:23 AM

dun dun dun...
Here it is version 3 of my portfolio. Up until now Ive been redesigning it from the ground up every few months or so, and understandably ive gotten tired of that. This is a combination personal/portfolio site and I would like this one to stay up for a while longer...ive made it so I can continue building on it and changing it without too much of a headache. Id like it to be as close to 'perfect' as possible, so that hopefully it might aide me in landing a job that doesnt suck. Be brutally honest as I know that you can be. Thanks. -bh

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Portfolio Site

• View blog

Re: New Portfolio Site

Posted 31 August 2003 - 03:33 AM

yeah Im an idiot...sorry its 6.30 am and i havent slept yet.

http://www.bretthitzel.com

This post has been edited by BHitzel: 31 August 2003 - 03:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2003 - 04:12 AM

the splash looks good, do you really need to list requirements though? most people (i know im generalising here, but hey) have the latest browser(s) and plugins, maby you could say more about what the site is about as that is really what a splash screen does, lets the user decide if the site is of use to them.

now, onto your welcome/news page, fist thing id say about that is your flash navigation (stills, animation...ect) really sticks out like a sore thumb, it does't really match beacuse you're not using any gradient blue anywhere else on the page. Also you have a sub header under you navigation, does you really need to tell us that it's "online portfolio version 3.0" again as it's already stated in the main header.

i like the hint of orange on your title, why didn't you use the ornage on the other headers for random news, changes..ect?

overall, i like it, nice job :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2003 - 07:28 AM

.sva, on Aug 31 2003, 04:12 AM, said:

the splash looks good, do you really need to list requirements though? most people (i know im generalising here, but hey) have the latest browser(s) and plugins, maby you could say more about what the site is about as that is really what a splash screen does, lets the user decide if the site is of use to them.

now, onto your welcome/news page, fist thing id say about that is your flash navigation (stills, animation...ect) really sticks out like a sore thumb, it does't really match beacuse you're not using any gradient blue anywhere else on the page. Also you have a sub header under you navigation, does you really need to tell us that it's "online portfolio version 3.0" again as it's already stated in the main header.

i like the hint of orange on your title, why didn't you use the ornage on the other headers for random news, changes..ect?

overall, i like it, nice job :D

Yea I pretty much concure...

Other thing that bothers me is the seemingly random changes in width on stuff. The navigation with the little flash mov running will extend well beyond the header and content area... then other locations the content expands to that width with the header remaining.... nah that doesn't cut it for me. Other than that... look'n good. I'd do what he said though, fix that nav because it really doesn't look right at all, and drop the requirements list... or just have a small pop-up with the list from a link for "requirements" or something...

8.2/10
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2003 - 02:12 PM

[quote name='kyouto' date='Aug 31 2003, 07:28 AM']

.sva, on Aug 31 2003, 04:12 AM, said:

your flash navigation (stills, animation...ect) really sticks out like a sore thumb, it does't really match beacuse you're not using any gradient blue anywhere else on the page. Also you have a sub header under you navigation, does you really need to tell us that it's "online portfolio version 3.0" again as it's already stated in the main header.

kyouto - I *think* that I might know what you are talking about with the varying width of the elements, if I am right you were looking at a glitch that has been a re-occuring problem with the site(I am alternating between my home and work computer, which have different resolutions and it has been throwing me off a bit). I have taken care of that now, again. Please look at it again and let me know if thats what you were talking about. If you are at a screen res of 1280x1024 that is prolly what it was.

Good lookin out so far...keep it coming!

Ok as for the sub-header: point taken, I agree, that will change.

As far as the flash nav bar goes, thats a bit tougher to decide upon. I want that navigation to be more noticeble then the HTTML nav on top, so it needs to be bigger, as it is the priimary focus of the site. And with the size that the buttons are, I didnt want to have all black or some other solid color just sitting there like that. Perhaps maybe a black to grey gradient(which does appear elsewhere in the site) w/rollovers being similar as now, just with nuetral colors instead of blue? The only other thing I can think of is maybe coming up with some sort of icon scheme, which I dont want to do cos me and Illustrator dont always play nice, but its something that I probobly will have to do down the road. Thoughts on that? As far as the blue text on one side and the orange on the other, that idea seemed great on paper and colored pencil and good in Photoshop, I am wondering about that now. The idea was to have the main topic of the page stand out more(lighter background and brighter text), and the sub content on the side, a darker text color and background. Im starting to wonder if that looks good, or confusing.

kyouto - I *think* that I might know what you are talking about with the varying width of the elements, if I am right you were looking at a glitch that has been a re-occuring problem with the site(I am alternating between my home and work computer, which have different resolutions and it has been throwing me off a bit). I have taken care of that now, again. Please look at it again and let me know if thats what you were talking about. If you are at a screen res of 1280x1024 that is prolly what it was.

Good lookin out so far...keep it coming!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• the rating girls give me after sex:

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2003 - 04:59 PM

just a note...the menu (the blue-black fade one) on the 'animations' page is shifted way left. might wanna give that a look-see

p.s. - i'm on moz firebird on a PC
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• still.dreaming
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:47 PM

just a note...the menu (the blue-black fade one) on the 'animations' page is shifted way left. might wanna give that a look-see

The image included in the message shows this... i'm on PC using IE, Opera and Firebird.. all showed the same thing...

I agree with the rest who said the menu sticks out too much... it's way too big and way too bright (for that size)...

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:55 AM

ooohkkkayyyy...once again that little bug reared its ugly head, and I squashed it again. Only showed up on that page though. Maybe I just forgot about that page last itme. At any rate I double/triple checked the site at 3 different resolutions and the problem didnt come back, so I should be ok with that now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:06 AM

Look'n much better bro... deffinatly looks a heck of a lot more professional cleaned up. Only thing I still don't personally care for is the nav buttons. It just doesn't really flow with the site anesthetically. I mean, techincally it should work by design, but kind of one of those things that in real application doesn't quite work out. I dunno, but other than that it's look'n really good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2003 - 11:25 AM

Sweet dude thanks....your talking about the flash nav right, not the html nav above it (home/about/contact/guestbook)? Those I am gonna try and work on over the next week I think.....

by those I mean the flash buttons.

This post has been edited by BHitzel: 01 September 2003 - 11:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• w3c fanatic

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:48 PM

Just a note, everything's lookin' good in Opera as well as Mozilla. The only problem with Opera is that the splash screen looks a little odd. The clouds are too far up of the screen at the top. You might just check on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:40 PM

I need to look into getting that...is Opera a free download? Ive used it a few times before, but it was a long time ago, ill look into getting it for testing.

btw, in case you guys are confused, objekt404 changed my UN to Will Danger just now. He signed me up to the forums for me before without ever asking me what I wanted my UN to be in the first place. How rude. :D

This post has been edited by Will Danger: 01 September 2003 - 02:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2003 - 03:16 PM

Will Danger, on Sep 1 2003, 04:40 PM, said:

I need to look into getting that...is Opera a free download? Ive used it a few times before, but it was a long time ago, ill look into getting it for testing.

btw, in case you guys are confused, objekt404 changed my UN to Will Danger just now. He signed me up to the forums for me before without ever asking me what I wanted my UN to be in the first place. How rude. :D

Hey, I was just trying to help the helpless...

:devil: > :alien2:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2003 - 03:54 PM

I hear ya fingers a typin but all im hearin is quack-quack-quack.

Have you dled the flash plugin and looked at the site yet?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2003 - 10:00 AM

Will Danger, on Sep 1 2003, 05:54 PM, said:

I hear ya fingers a typin but all im hearin is quack-quack-quack.

Have you dled the flash plugin and looked at the site yet?

Yes & No.

Here's the deal:
Splash Page : The image colors are a little shifted between the image & page b/g (ie. the photo looks like it should blend better w/the b/g & the 'requirements' section has a hazy streak right of the info).

Home Page: What happened to the Orange? Not that I'm a huge fan of Orange, but IMHO it would help tye it together better. Buttons, header? That middle 'welcome' section looks redundent as well...

Finally, the different header parts don't quite line up right (a few pixels left, a few down...)

Then again, there is nothing there that hasn't been said above....

on: Mandrake 9.1/Mozilla 1.3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +