• Last »

73 Replies - 2433 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Hope

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

I am a person of hope.

Whenever I see sports on any level I always pull for the underdog (especially in boxing). I watch alot of National Geographic and I'm the girl that pulls for the little gazelle at the watering hole. I route for the little guy. My hope doesn't end here though, I try and see it in people as well. I constantly reach for the glimmer that people in general will suprise me. Even during terrible events I do this! I hope and believe that things will be ok, even when there's no chance it will. Today, for the first time in a long time my hopes were realized as I watched a jet sink in the Hudson River. I thought that everyone would be OK and they were. It was nice for a change.

My greatest hope is for mankind. I really believe we will change and "evolve" into a better creature. I think we will, I hope so. Anyway, I was letting my mind wander some and was trying to think how this could ever be, if it has ever come to pass...what sparked it. I think it starts with an idea that is put into reality.

So, if you could actually make any idea(s) a reality in the hopes of helping mankind what would it be?

Mine would be for there never to have been organized religion. When I say this Im not talking about spirituality...just the organization of religion. I believe that through the centuries the idea of defense and building up of one's god has been a terrible thing for the human race. Belief in something is not.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by absynthe: 16 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hope

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hope

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hope is for the indecisive and weak. Hope is for when you have no other course of action to take.

My greatest hope is for mankind. I really believe we will change and "evolve" into a better creature. I think we will, I hope so. Anyway, I was letting my mind wander some and was trying to think how this could ever be, if it has ever come to pass...what sparked it. I think it starts with an idea that is put into reality.

This made me LOL. If what we have now took 6 billion years to evolve to....hahahahahahahahahahaha, we have a long way to go then.

This post has been edited by KYA: 15 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

Posted Image :)

Hope is for the indecisive and weak.

What I'm trying to say isn't that hard to grasp.....ugh...manly men who have to dangle their nads and stick out their chests...

This post has been edited by absynthe: 15 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Absynthe, I am like you, try to see the good in people and hope for the best. For me it is probably selfish, though, since I hate to see bad things happen. It was really surprising that all of the people on that airplane survived! Amazing. Every once in a while something good does happen.

Thanks for posting this. :^:

I also always root for the underdog, probably selfish again though since I always seem to be the underdog, especially in sports! lol.

And if that makes people call me weak or indecisive, so be it. I probably am. Or not. I can't decide. :P

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 15 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

View Postabsynthe, on 15 Jan, 2009 - 10:14 PM, said:

What I'm trying to say isn't that hard to grasp.....ugh...manly men who have to dangle their nads and stick out their chests...

So when you're hungry do you go sit outside and hope you get fed? Do you hope you'll be employed? Example I know you are currently gainfully employed.

The list goes on and on. Hoping for something is absolutely worthless. If you have the ability to act do so, don't hope for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

KYA you just don't understand. It's ok though.

No, you can't just sit and hope things get better...sometimes you have to make things happen. But what if there is nothing you can do, like that plane crash today? Now if I was there and had a boat or helicopter (and knew how to fly a helicopter) then I could go rescue the people from the water. But since I was not there and don't have the means to help them, I can at least have a positive outlook and hope...or wish...they will get rescued!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

Surely you know what Im talking about...

HOPE MAN...hope for things that most of us will never be able to change...

Im not talking about sitting on your ass and hoping your life away..christ...I think my tiny little nephew would grasp the concept Im trying to get across...

Maybe the more archaic definition is closer to what Im talking about..
Hope- To have confidence; trust.

and thank you SO much Olive!! You know exactly what im saying!

This post has been edited by absynthe: 15 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Depends on how much time you are devoting to hope. You could be doing something else.

Also, excellent argument, "You don't agree with me, therefore you just don't 'get it'".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Know...that's not my argument at all. You really dont understand what I'm trying to say..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

So when you're hungry do you go sit outside and hope you get fed? Do you hope you'll be employed? Example I know you are currently gainfully employed.

The list goes on and on. Hoping for something is absolutely worthless. If you have the ability to act do so, don't hope for it.

You can wish in one hand, and crap in the other... guess which one gets filled up first?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

View PostKYA, on 15 Jan, 2009 - 11:39 PM, said:

Also, excellent argument, "You don't agree with me, therefore you just don't 'get it'".

Thanks!

But I actually think you don't understand what Absynthe is trying to say...or what I meant, either. So it's not only an excellent argument, but also pretty accurate. :D

Another example of what I mean: Whenever I take a test for one of my classes, I study a lot, and prepare. Then when I take the test I hope that I get a good grade!

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 15 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

Complete waste of time...this whole thread was useless...cant believe I invested the time and thought into it like I did...

*edit* Thank God Olive understood!! That makes it OK :)

This post has been edited by absynthe: 15 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

That's what I'm here for, honey. To make your day a little better. :P

But, yes, I think you'll just end up getting flamed if you keep this going. Too bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

Posted Image

"Keep Hope Alive! Keep Hope Alive!!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Complete waste of time...this whole thread was useless...cant believe I invested the time and thought into it like I did...
@absynthe: don't let KYA crush your hopes ^_-

But, yes, I think you'll just end up getting flamed if you keep this going. Too bad.
@Olive: help abs to keep up the hope

@KYA: While I agree that if you have the ability to act you should do so, you must also realize that the motivation for you to act comes from a belief in your own ability to succeed. i.e. the very definition of hope is "to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence" if you have no presumption of some sort of pleasantries in your life KYA, then why not just bowl over and perish? Precisely because you do hope for things, even if you do so unconsciously. What you're referring to is the extremity of hope which is precisely what abs remarked on in the first post, where she refers to religion and such. How some people have the attitude of the powers that be will make everything turn out alright. Thus, cleansing themselves of any responsibility to act. Hoping for things doesn't cost you anything after all. Perhaps you'll say it costs you time, but I can hope and walk at the same time. Any emotion in its extreme is a bad thing KYA, love, anger, fear, hope, etc. The gentle balance and an air of optimism is more likely what absynthe was trying to hint at. To which finally I add, who hurt you? Show me on the doll where they touched you.

@absynthe: to condemn religion makes you just as culpable as those who advocate it. Knowledge's only flaw is that it robs someone of their ignorance (assuming they did not seek it out). The manner in which it was obtained, or the manner in which it is applied distinguishes knowledge as good or evil, or rather the individual in pursuit of it. Some people need something more concrete than just the abstract belief of ideals. They require something better than themselves, but similar to them as well. That is the hope you are referring to. Religion like any knowledge isn't bad, it's those who misuse it and misguide others that are culpable for the tool's evil, not the tool itself. To consciously deny people knowledge means that you deny them the very hope for mankind you professed, because you do not trust them to make the right choice. Having no hope to call your own (looking at you KYA) is a sad thing, telling others you have no hope in them makes all our collective worths a bit less. Remember, the first thing a totalitarian government does is take away your knowledge and keep you ignorant. In this way they can hold control over the knowledge you acquire and bend you to their will. You don't strike me as the type who wishes to be lorded over, but be weary of sharing similar attitudes to those you would typically admonish.

As for myself, all I can hope is that when I dangle my nads and stick out my chest, some woman will find it dangeresquely sexy. Or, I could just take matters into my own hands and dangle her nads. o_O If you want something more inspirational I'll humor you. I'm no idealist after all, but perhaps I am packing an ideal list o_O. Wordplay is fun, but I digresseth!

Darkness descends ravenously on those who ignore the rape of their brilliance. Only the light called hope can pierce the dawn of twilight.

wtf? Damn, pirates are deep. Davey Jones deep know what I'm saying?

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 16 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »