11 Replies - 1864 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2009 - 10:12 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Browser Based Games...

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

I have kinda always wanted to make a browser based rpg style game, like www.alienaa.com and things like that, but I could never find some solid help. If anybody knows any sites or tutorials, etc, etc. Then could you please, PLEASE :crazy: post them.

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Browser Based Games...

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Browser Based Games...

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

What programming knowledge do you have? Writing a game is rarely an easy first step.

Most web based games (I am not familiar with alienaa), understanding how to dynamically generate content with a server side language like php and database communications with sql.

If you are not familiar with these it would be a good idea to start with some smaller examples to learn them. The php tutorials section is filled with many tutorials to get you started.
http://www.dreaminco...showforum47.htm
Depending on how you want your data to be generated, a decent use of html and css would be advisable.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Well, I know the basics of C++, I am very good with HTML (I know it's a markup, not programming), but I just really want to get stuck in with a project, because everything else never gets finished (not because of lack of determination, just lack of good resoruces). So at the moment I am looking for some good books, but even then - the books rarely cover what you're looking for.

Anyway, I just thought trying to make a web based multiplayer game would be a good way to work in a multi-player enviroment, but if you suggest something smaller, then I will put this aside for the future.

P.S: On a side note, do you know any really good resources to help me get stuck in properly with game programming, or programming overall.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Well StapledPuppet,

I was once the same as you, just wanting to make a game as quick as possible. The problem is that these things are not instant and you will need a couple of months or so to get to grips with the languages used.

I would personally use the following languages for your idea;
1 - PHP (Serverside, sercure-ish, easy to work with)
2 - Javascript (Interactivity)
3 - mySQL (The best database language, if you can call it a language)
4 - HTML (Layout ECT)
5 - CSS (Can be used for layout but used for attributes such as colour, size's ECT)

I know that list seems daunting but its the best way to get it underway.

I learnt all of those languages to Intermediate level and some Advanced took bout 6-8 months but it has paid off as I am currently creating my very own RPG. (No link as I havent finished it yet).

But stick with you idea and learn the languages belowand you will eventually be able to follow your dream of owning your very own RPG.

Thanks for reading

PaulMc91

P.S. I will look for some help for you (for PHP/mySQL tuts and help go to http://www.phpeasystep.com)
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

Thanks. Your advice was immensly helpful. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:15 AM

I agree with PaulMc91, those technologies are what I'd focus on.

However, I was curious about the game, so signed up. The thing that most impressed me is that was kind of old style web tech. It could be done without any javascript at all. Kind of made me happy.

You'd still need a database and a server side language. HTML is, of course, mandatory. CSS, while good practice, can be kind of short circuited by a template system and often is. You need to understand the style system even with just HTML, though.

Don't be in a rush, you have a lot to get through. Start with static web pages. Then use something like PHP to respond to you when you enter something in a box. Then figure out how to save and access that something in a database. After that, it's just complexity and experience.

A fun exercise it taking two players or objects and having them "fight" based on their stats. There are a few example of that floating around here. There of course a lot to look at; just take it easy and have fun.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hmm... thanks baavgai, your reply has been very advising, and so now I know pretty much which areas to learn in. How long do think it will take me to learn enough PHP, SQL, CSS and others before I can make my own game? Just pure curiosity. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

It all depends on how focused you are; I've seen people learn enough to get up and running in a week, while others have taken months.

However, after you've learned enough of your server-side language of choice, you may want to check out the tutorials at http://buildingbrowsergames.com on building a basic medieval game - they should get you up and running fairly quickly with something you can tweak to your liking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

Wow that's a good set of tutorials. Thanks for that link. So once I have learnt PHP (or my choice language), I could have a go at the tutorials? Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

That's the idea. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

Well Stapled Puppet,

It's been a week since I last posted and was wondering if you have advanced in your programming knowledge ?

If you need any help don't hesitate to ask me, I will gladly help you test anything you have created. :^:

Over the past week I scrapped my RPG because I got mixed up with all my coding :D no good I tell you. So I have to do it again...

When you are coding here's a few tips;
1 - Comment on all of your pages so yo know what you are doing.
(PHP you do this //Your comment here )
(HTML you do this <!-- Your commnt here -->)
This means you will always know where to edit ect.

2 - If you are including files into page put them in their own folder. (Usually named inc or includes ect.)

3 - When using images also place those in there own folder.
(Usually named img or imges ect.)

Just a few little tips that do help may seem basic but it works.

I have a few more links for you aswell...

HTML - http://www.quackit.com/html/tutorial/
CSS - http://www.html.net/tutorials/css/
Javascript (Tutorial and Scripts) - http://www.javascriptkit.com/
PHP and MySQL - http://www.phpeasystep.com/

Those are the best I know of but if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks

PaulMc91

This post has been edited by paulmc91: 24 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Cool... Shame to hear you scrapped the RPG.. Anyway, the further advice is appreciated - thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1