• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

47 Replies - 2582 Views - Last Post: 16 October 2001 - 08:19 PM

• <title>Untitled Document</title>

• View blog

Women's Rights in Afghanistan

Posted 12 October 2001 - 09:57 AM

> Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war upon women. Since the Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to wear burqua and have been beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire, even if this means simply not having the mesh covering in front of their eyes. One woman was beaten to death by an angry mob of Fundamentalists for accidentally exposing her arm(!) while she was driving. Another was stoned to death for trying to leave the country with a man that was not her relative. Women are not allowed to work or even go out in public without a male relative; professional women such as professors, translators, doctors, lawyers, artists and writers have been forced from their jobs and restricted to their homes.> Homes where a woman is present must have their windows painted so that she can never be seen by outsiders. They must wear silent shoes so that they are never heard. Women live in fear of their lives for the slightest misbehavior. Because they cannot work, those without male relatives or husbands are either starving to death or begging in the street, even if they hold Ph.D.'s. Depression is becoming so widespread that it has reached emergency levels. There is no way in such an extreme Islamic society toknow the suicide rate with certainty, but relief workers are estimating thatthe suicide rate among women must be extraordinarily high: those who cannotfind proper medication and treatment for severe depression and would rather take their lives than live in such conditions. At one of the rare hospitals for women, reporter found still, nearly lifeless bodies lying motionless ontop of beds, wrapped in their burqua, unwilling to speak, eat, or do anything, but slowly waste away. Others have gone mad and were seen crouched in corners, perpetually rocking or crying, most of them in fear. It is at the point where the term "human rights violations" has become an understatement. Husbands have the power of life and death over their women relatives, especially their wives, but an angry mob has just as much right to stone or beat a woman, often to death, for exposing an inch of flesh or offending them in the slightest way. Women enjoyed relative freedom: to work, to dress generally as they wanted, and to drive and appear in public alone until only 1996. The rapidity of this transition is the main reason for the depression and suicide; Women who were once educators or doctors or simply used to basic human freedoms are now severely restricted and treated as subhuman in the name of right-wing fundamentalist Islam. It is not their tradition or 'culture', but it is alien to them, and it is extreme even for those cultures where fundamentalism is the rule. Everyone has a right to a tolerable human existence, even if they are women in a Muslim country. If we can threaten military force in Kosovo the name of human rights for the sake of ethnic Albanians, citizens of the world can certainly express peaceful outrage at the oppression, murder and injustice committed against women by the Taliban.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Women's Rights in Afghanistan

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Women's Rights in Afghanistan

Posted 12 October 2001 - 04:14 PM

this is the reality... but it's sad...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 42. That's my final answer.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2001 - 05:19 PM

oh yeah, that's the way God wants things done. :rolleyes:

[/end raging sarcasm]

buncha medieval bastards. :upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset:

and man who treats a woman like that should have have him arms torn off and then be beaten to death with them. i hate abusers.

(Edited by jaredigital at 7:19 pm on Oct. 12, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2001 - 05:34 PM

i don't think it is the job of the united states or the world for that matter to enforce human rights.  there is a reason we have have our soverignty... it's because we as a people were fed up with being oppressed by britian way back in the day.  what gives us the right to bully another country into doing something.  you don't see the UN pressuring us to stop sexist behaviors or sexual harassment.  countries are free to run themselves as they see fit.  the only reason for the world to step in and do something is if that country violates the rights or soverignty of another.  by harboring bin laden or any other terrorist group that has directly harmed the united states after we have exausted diplomacy as a means to extradite him to stand trial in the US, afganistan has violated our rights to seek justice for the crimes commited on american soil.  that is why we're there.  that is why we're involved in this military action.  now, if the taliban is overthrown as a result of our actions there so be it.  if the situation for women is improved by us then fine.  but you can't expect the world adopt our constitution and our way of life and then unleash the military power of the world on any government who dares to violate the rules and provisions established by it.  
my word... we didn't even let women vote in this country until the 20s...  *sigh*

and i'm not at all implying that i think this is "ok" by any means.  but i think it is more wrong to think we can force our ways and beliefs upon another person or culture or country or anything for that matter.

(Edited by Vetritus03 at 3:37 am on Oct. 13, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2001 - 08:55 PM

What a load of bullshit.

When there is this kind of injustice, there is no choice but to try to stop it.

What if you were a woman in Afghanistan? Scared you'll get stoned to death for showing part of your arm ACCIDENTALLY while driving?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2001 - 09:07 PM

>> gneato, please, you can state your opinion but layoff with downplaying someone elses. its his opinion and hes aloud to voice it , you can voice yours but we dont need a mud slinging contest going on. <<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2001 - 09:23 PM

97% of afghani women suffer severe depression and 20% seriously contemplate suicide,and suicide is considered a sin ( the terrorists consider themselves martyrs not suicide bombers). The agony is unspeakable, i saw footage of a woman whose veil slipped and a lock of her hair was seen and the local 'police' officer beat her severly on her head and back. Women not only don't have all the rights men enjoy but they are considered by some to be a 'necessary evil'.  it's weird, we are almost exactly the opposite, we think of the woman first, she is presented as the model for
society to follow. Women are encouraged to be independent
and we considered it a violation worthy of being punished with several years in prison to try and belittle them in that respect
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 09:46 AM

Quote: from capty99 on 12:07 am on Oct. 13, 2001
>> gneato, please, you can state your opinion but layoff with downplaying someone elses. its his opinion and hes aloud to voice it , you can voice yours but we dont need a mud slinging contest going on. <<

Are you saying I can't give an opinion of someone else's opinion?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 09:48 AM

the right to vote is nothing compared to the restrictions forced upon women in Afghanistan.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 12:56 PM

Are you saying I can't give an opinion of someone else's opinion?

No, you can disagree with Veritus, just act like an adult about it. Don't say "That's a load of BS."   Say: "Veritus, I disagree with you for the following reasons:"

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 03:22 PM

I like my woman in thongs with as much skin showing as possible, I have come to the conclusion that all the Taliban people are gay and do not like woman so they cover them up, kind of "sweeping them under the mat"

Yup, that's the reason ;)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 03:23 PM

i agree man.  2 thumbs up.  WAY up!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 04:40 PM

yes... there are no women's rights there at all... yes we should do something about it... no.. we shouldn't impose our beliefs on them... I say drop little ideas at a time... and let them evolve from those ideas... I mean.. we've evolved, and so shall they sooner or later... they know they've got to catch up with the rest of the world... let them do it at their own paste.... I am not saying beating up women is right.. I mean.. give them the chance to evolve... into a society that knows how to treat women...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 05:04 PM

like one where they wear thongs.  point me in that direction...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2001 - 08:25 PM

now miaka be realistic...the taliban nor anyother extremist government would do that. only a new more liberal government
i think we should bring back their king and make a parliament or something
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »