Migration of vb to vb.net

I've to develop a tool to convert vb to vb.net

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 3371 Views - Last Post: 27 January 2009 - 09:53 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Migration of vb to vb.net

Post icon  Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:38 AM

Any program written in Vb 6.0
Is there any free source code available to convert vb code to vb.net?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Migration of vb to vb.net

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Migration of vb to vb.net

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

I use VB 2008 Express and that has a built in converter. To be honest though, it's not that great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Ive just spent almost 3 yrs learning vb.net and converting my main vb6 app, and let me save u a lot of time looking for the holy grail - IMO the fundamental differences mean theres just no way you can realistically put vb6 code in one end and get decent .net code out the other other than the odd snippet being converted with the built in tool.

i took the stance that by a total re-write (which is what u will probably end up doing) you will not only learn vb.net better, but find faster, quicker & better ways of programming after you have had the heartache of learning .net which can be a real PIA lol, but when u get into .net its worth it. I also thought that what would be the point of doing an exact conversion when u already have a working program, what are u going to gain? vb6 apps will work on microsoft OS for many years to come, (theres too many out there for them not to) so use the conversion to better it

ive bought a cpl books authored by francesco ballena (vb.net 2005 the language & 700 tips), and he has written a vb6 to .net migration program on his site http://www.dotnet2themax.com/ but i cant vouch for it.

gl

Bob
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

Visual Studio (starting from version 2002) includes a code conversion tool, that will attempt (I say attempt because it may not convert all the code the way you want to) to convert VB6 code to VB.NET. However, if the project is quite big, most likely you will run in some problems.

The best approach is to take some time and study VB.NET and then manually write the project in VB.NET from scratch. As some of the functions and calls are the same (there are quite a few), it is ot as hard as it seems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1