OpenGl Linux Tutorial

Qt | OpenGL | X11 | Linux

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 33551 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2009 - 01:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

OpenGl Linux Tutorial

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

My copy of OpenGL SuperBible arrived from amazon today. I have wanted to start graphical programming for a very long time. However, I work under Linux (fedora 10). I use Qt for my apps, and have yet to use Qt's opengl extensions(QT4).

I am looking for a tutorial for opengl under linux. I just need to know how to create and configure a rendering enviroment (i think its called a context?) so that I can start my journey. Once I can set up the render context, I can worry about opengl and not my platform.

I have searched google and yahoo for these tutorials, using every keyword I could...fail.
The NeHe tutorials don't seem to cover Linux coding. And the other tutorials have 0 linux support, and some simple are REALY bad tutorials in general. I have downloaded ebooks, and none of them support linux.

Anyone know where I can get a good, in depth PURE linux opengl tutorials, with support for QT and/or Xserver? (that isn't from 1991)

I am completely lost....
Google has failed me (shocking).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: OpenGl Linux Tutorial

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: OpenGl Linux Tutorial

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Well, since OpenGL is kinda suposed to supply multi platform graphics support I don't know if there are that many

in depth PURE linux opengl tutorials

But there are a bunch of tutorials out there.

But I would suggest that you might started looking into SDL for window creation, basic graphics drawing and such. It is also a multi platform library and it has support to be used with OpenGL later on when the standard SDL library isn't fast enough. It also has libraries for such as sound, networking and more.

Here's a tutorial on how to set up OpenGL on linux(I think, haven't watched this version): Lesson 0c: Getting OpenGL Set Up on Linux
One that helps you set up SDL and walks you trough it and later introduces OpenGL: Lazy Foo
If neither of those work out for ya, you can always go here: Set up OpenGL on Linux

Hope any of this might lead you in the right direction :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Re: OpenGl Linux Tutorial

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

If I ain't totally wrong. OpenGL isn't platform dependent. So if it's not a windows specific tutorial any tutorial should do?

This might help
http://www.digitalfa...ts/qt_tutorial/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1