Hi

my intro

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 820 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

• View blog

Hi

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

I am checking this site out. Found a link on face book. I am in the Seattle area, looking for work. I am primarily a C programmer that does low level cross platform programming for Win, Lin and Mac.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi buckrogers1965!

Seattle is one area I have not managed to get to yet and would really like to. I hear it's an absolutely beautiful part of the country (especially when it's not raining ;) ).

So of the 3 (Windows, Linux, and Mac) which do you use most? Always interesting to hear what the mechanic drives so to speak.

Why not tell us a little more about yourself in your profile (you can edit it here: http://www.dreaminco...h...CP&CODE=01).

Make yourself at home and if you want, you can fan us on facebook: http://www.facebook....ode/62219401412

My name is Chris. I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I do more web development and marketing these days. Programmed in ColdFusion for the government the past 5 years but recently left that position.

If you ever have any problems here at Dream.In.Code, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm the "Head D.I.C Head" so to speak and would be happy to answer any questions about the site :)

Cya around the forums!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

The city is very beautiful. I did a time lapse of downtown Seattle a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xwYk-_CXYvU

I'll fill out the profile in a bit.

I prefer to primarily work on posix UNIX code, that runs with just tiny changes between UNIX, Linux and OS X. Usually just need a few ifdefs between these systems. My windows code usually requires a separate code module to be done specifically to support windows, So I abstract out all the difference to a single small low level library and write the behavior layer on top of that that works on every platform.

I enjoy doing low level memory management, networking, serial port, forking processes, parsing, string processing, and state machines, and scheduling.

Also good at writing the code for every platform to build the executables and package it up.

My dream job would be as the go to guy that solves the tough problems on the core team of some small start up around here in Seattle. Did that before for 5 years and loved it.

View Postskyhawk133, on 23 Jan, 2009 - 07:57 PM, said:

Hi buckrogers1965!

Seattle is one area I have not managed to get to yet and would really like to. I hear it's an absolutely beautiful part of the country (especially when it's not raining ;) ).

So of the 3 (Windows, Linux, and Mac) which do you use most? Always interesting to hear what the mechanic drives so to speak.

Why not tell us a little more about yourself in your profile (you can edit it here: http://www.dreaminco...h...CP&CODE=01).

Make yourself at home and if you want, you can fan us on facebook: http://www.facebook....ode/62219401412

My name is Chris. I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I do more web development and marketing these days. Programmed in ColdFusion for the government the past 5 years but recently left that position.

If you ever have any problems here at Dream.In.Code, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm the "Head D.I.C Head" so to speak and would be happy to answer any questions about the site :)

Cya around the forums!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

hey, buckrogers1965, welcome to D.I.C.! we are happy to have you here as a member with us! You seem to be really experienced in computer programming, thats great and i hope that you will be able to find a job, you can post a job in the freelancing section :) i hope you like the community and spend a fun and rewarding time here, see you around, good luck ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Welcome!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

OK, just noticed an interesting naming convention on the site... Right under my little picture it says, "New DIC Head."

It may not be apparent to whoever coded the naming, but in english, dic head is kind of an insult.

Is there a way to edit this?

View Postbuckrogers1965, on 23 Jan, 2009 - 07:06 PM, said:

I am checking this site out. Found a link on face book. I am in the Seattle area, looking for work. I am primarily a C programmer that does low level cross platform programming for Win, Lin and Mac.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

Is there a way to edit this?

Touchy, are we? Well, there is a way - post more useful topics and replies. notice, the insult you are reffering to is spelled differently.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:07 AM

View Postbuckrogers1965, on 23 Jan, 2009 - 10:06 PM, said:

welcome to the site. c programmer? coolness! you'll love it here. we have a fine little niche of c programmers that you would fall in with and rather well. check them out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:37 AM

buckrogers, It says "D.I.C Head" which is the acronym for "Dream.In.Code". Much like followers of the Grateful Dead are called "Dead Heads", our members have claimed the name "D.I.C Heads". If I were to type out Dream.In.Code Heads it wouldn't fit in the side bar.

(Plus, if I typed Dream.In.Code every time instead of DIC, I think I would have gone through a few more keyboards over the years ;) )

Try to look past the obvious and enjoy the "pun"nyness of the unplanned acronym :-/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

I need to work on a site that I can show other people, friends and future employers, my work and having dic head under my picture just isn't professional.

If this can't be changed, is there a way to delete my profile?

Thanks.

View Postskyhawk133, on 24 Jan, 2009 - 06:37 AM, said:

buckrogers, It says "D.I.C Head" which is the acronym for "Dream.In.Code". Much like followers of the Grateful Dead are called "Dead Heads", our members have claimed the name "D.I.C Heads". If I were to type out Dream.In.Code Heads it wouldn't fit in the side bar.

(Plus, if I typed Dream.In.Code every time instead of DIC, I think I would have gone through a few more keyboards over the years ;) )

Try to look past the obvious and enjoy the "pun"nyness of the unplanned acronym :-/

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Also I would have to say that this is the best programming support community on the net... I know a lot of people who respect the badge and also admire it. Welcome to DIC by the way! I am actually a Mac Os programmer as well, not specifically UNIX posix stuff though. haha.. Hope to see you around the forums!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

What would you like your member title to say buckrogers?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

@buckrogers1965, actually it can be changed but you have to contribute to the community, make lots of posts and be an active member so that you will then have the ability to change it and write what you want instead, but D.I.C. head name is just a "tradition" here on D.I.C. and i dont think such a name would lead your account to become unprofessional, it is just type of identification that comes with the site for every member just as your nationality, you are from U.S. so you are an "American Citizen" , since you are at D.I.C. your identification would be D.I.C. head, its that simple, and i dont think there is any offense in that... anyways maybe the webmaster(skyhawk133) may provide you with a solution...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Here are the member ranks:

New D.I.C Head 0 posts
D.I.C Head 50 posts
D.I.C Regular 250 posts
D.I.C Addict 500 posts
D.I.C Lover 1000 posts

At 500 you can change your title. At 250 you lose the "D.I.C Head" nomenclature and become a D.I.C Regular. However, I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable, so I'd be happy to change your title to simply "New Member" if you would prefer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Replace D.I.C. with Code.

I don't mind being called a "Code Head" or if I earned it a "Code Addict"

View Postskyhawk133, on 24 Jan, 2009 - 10:54 AM, said:

What would you like your member title to say buckrogers?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +