can girls programme, what do the girls and boys think!

sexism

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

163 Replies - 12475 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2011 - 02:26 AM

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: can girls programme, what do the girls and boys think!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

No, girls can't program. Get back into the kitchen! ;)

Kidding. Anyone can program! I'm too lazy to read all of the thread, but if you get discriminated for it, just flash your knickers at them or something.

Kidding again. Just kick 'em in the nuts.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

I know that when I got into the industry (way back in the 80's) there were rarely females to be found. Over time the number of females I've seen in the industry has grown exponentially. I for one dont think the ability to program falls on a gender, I believe it falls to those who are willing to put forth the time and effort it takes to become good at it.

I know that most of the females I do know that are programmers usually don't have children, and are normally single. I personally attribute this to the natural maternal instincts that females have, and most are unwilling to take time away from their children to be in an industry that often times require odd, long hours. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a sexist at all, it's just that from my personal experience females are often times more maternal that most of the males that I know.

Just my 2 :)

Also, I think this is a great source for conversation, so I'm moving this to the Corner Cubical and featuring it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

ive had 1 female IT teacher in my life. thats out of about 10-15. and maybe 3 for every 20 students were females. if u dont think IT is a male dominated field, then your just plain wrong. but that doesnt mean girls cant do it.

This post has been edited by bflosabre91: 26 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

what happened to my really good post about programming started in the kitchen, damn phone, damn
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

First year of engineering (computer-oriented majors) there were 5 girls in a class of ~70.

Now coming into fourth (and final year) there are 5/50 lol

This post has been edited by scalt: 26 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Reality, is hard to take, this comment(that lately there r more girls than guys in IT), was made by a guy well placed enough not to talk rot, but judging by posts, this is nonsense. My new question here then is why, someone said maternal instinct, thats not possible, consider law or accounting, both fields are 50/50 gender wise, this is very interesing!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

Admin Edit: Unfeatured from homepage. If people like NeoTifa could actually speak intelligently in a thread and keep it on topic I wouldn't mind featuring stuff like this, but this thread is a mess of bad grammar and spelling. Not a professional discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

View Postkiwi2, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 12:34 PM, said:

what about Laura Lemay!...

Lol, looking for programmer girl power? :P Look up Ada Lovelace. First female programmer, or first programmer ever, ( if you accept that Babbage's device was a computer ) and one of the few programmers to have a computer language named after them. A royal personage, "The Right Honourable Augusta Ada, Countess of Lovelace" and only child of the poet Byron. ( I occasionally include her name on job interviews. )

I currently have four programmers; all women. Men and women do seem to approach problems slightly differently, but logic is logic. I don't know why there aren't more women in the field. Unlike most male dominated fields, geeks don't generally support a glass ceiling; you can either program well or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

While not a programmer, Danica McKellar (of Wonder Years fame) is a mathematician, and is on quite the crusade to get more girls involved in the math and science fields:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

sorry about both the spelling and the grammer, this is not an excuse, I am typing this on a mobile phone, honestly, sometimes when your hands fly on the keys it looks like russian. the name I was looking for, Lisha Sterling.

ps. I have a major in EgLsh

ps. I have a major in EgLsh
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

I know that when I was in high school and college (80s-early90s) I was the odd girl out so to speak. While my girl friends were heading in the direction of teaching or business I was taking maths and computer courses.

I think that these days there is less of a negative stigma attached to being a woman and interested in programming. When it finally came down to me talking to a guidance councilor about college despite my interest in computers directed me to "computer assisted" programs.

So first year of university I took a business program Majoring in Accounting and I hated it. Economics and statistics were fascinating but the rest of the courses were dull. It took me another year before I could get things figured out and into a college computer program.

It is interesting to see more women programmers and mathematicians in Television shows like NCIS and Numb3rs. I think that is a telling sign that women in the industry are getting noticed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

I changed schools so many times its amazing I got to varisity at all, for a year I did, wait for it, home economics, on the advise of a teacher, fortunately in matric I did maths and science, I did 1 year of accounting at varsity and also hated it, maths I loved, as for computers sadly I discovered this passion very late it is a hobby only I'm afraid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

One thing you should keep an eye out for, is that the forums and parts of the IT industry that females prefer may differ from males. What I'm saying is, just because there's very few females where you work, doesn't mean that elsewhere there's not a female majority and a male minority - same goes for internet forums like this one (Although, I see no reason why females nor males would make up the majority of this forum unless there were simply less females in the industry or with an interest in programming.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

Girls and boys both. No gender issue here, IMHO. Someone has the brains, someone - does not. That's all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

View PostValPaliy, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 01:23 PM, said:

Girls and boys both. No gender issue here, IMHO. Someone has the brains, someone - does not. That's all.

I agree

It's not that guys have the potential to be better with computers than girls, but I think (I admit i have nothing to back this up) that guys as a whole are willing to devote more time to learning programming/IT skills. The women that devote the time to learn these skills have the same opportunities that men do to excel in the IT field, so i think it really comes down to preference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »