can girls programme, what do the girls and boys think!

sexism

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

163 Replies - 13455 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2011 - 02:26 AM

#31 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: can girls programme, what do the girls and boys think!

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

I'm in a high school IT specialty center, and in my class there are 6 girls out of a class of 42 (center only). However, in the freshman class there are 15 girls to 15 guys. I can speak in my class, the girls are at the top of the heap (except for 1 ditz). Most of the girls that apply to this center are really good students, but most of the guys that apply do so to get into a specialty center.

In my opinion, if someone can & will do something, they shouldn't be denied the oppurtunity due to gender/race. However, grades are another discussion all together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

Gabe!?!?! What happened to your avatar! It appears to have been eaten by elmo!

ps. That was totally off topic but just realized it

This post has been edited by markhazlett9: 26 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 01:01 PM, said:

While not a programmer, Danica McKellar (of Wonder Years fame) is a mathematician, and is on quite the crusade to get more girls involved in the math and science fields:

Posted Image

I agree!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

View PostKYA, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 11:07 PM, said:

View Postskyhawk133, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 01:01 PM, said:

While not a programmer, Danica McKellar (of Wonder Years fame) is a mathematician, and is on quite the crusade to get more girls involved in the math and science fields:

Posted Image

I agree!

me too.. I guess..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

I wonder if Danica teach me about the segment addition postulate if everyone catches my drift... Or maybe she'd like me to run my source code through her compiler...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 02:01 PM, said:

I actually glanced at the first few chapters of her first book. It's very conversational with a particular audience in mind; girls who'd rather be doing anything but math. It's not just a how to, but a why to. With a little "being a ditz doesn't pay the bills" thrown in. I wish I'd had her book to hand for a few friend's daughters. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

Whoa skyhawk, I don't know if you're instulting me or what! Why am I always the example of bad posting? :(

As far as the females where I live go, they have either dropped out of school to have crack babies (no joke, my cousin was one of the famous ones of my town), or go on to be nursing majors. I think 7/10 girls that actually decided to go to college after high school is a nursing, music, or fashion major. The other 3/10 were business, IT, accounting, or engineering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Gender doesn't make you smarter or better at anything. People are people, they grow up in different environments, they go through different thinks, they intake stuff differently than everybody else.

Males (and females) are good at sports like wrestling and football. Males and females are good at programming, at Science, Math, etc. It doesn't make a difference. Just 'cause you're a girl doesn't make you have some majestic ability of getting "better" looking clothes. It's all opinions.

As far as the girl trying to promote math to other women, that's rather noble I'd say. Although looking skanky isn't something I personally agree with, if it gets people to read it, so be it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

View Postkiwi2, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 11:27 AM, said:

a college said there are more girls in IT today, than the opposite sex, is this true

While I worked at a fortune 500 company, I can say that most departments had a staff chuck full of female management.

In our Unix department there was 1 female developer to 4 males. In another Unix department there were 2 females to (I think... ) 4 males.

The help desk was about 50/50 mix, although again with Female management.

View Postskyhawk133, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 02:01 PM, said:

While not a programmer, Danica McKellar (of Wonder Years fame) is a mathematician

My friend bought her book(s). He's still nuts over her!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

For me the whole debate about whether female programmers and those involved in IT are more than men and whether they are better or not will not do any change and will not change the mentality of people, the only way that will enable you(girls) to defend your position is to be programming and making achievements in order to show us(men) that you are really good programmers and to change some other peoples mentality that girls cant program, just debating the issue wont make a difference, working on the issue will make a person reach were he wants and show others that he really can(not just by talking and giving examples) why don't the girls here BE the real example themselves? anyways i am not sexist at all and i don't think that there should be difference between men and women in IT field once there is the required logic there is no difference between male or female, i think the roots of the problem are from the mentality of the people especially some girls who grow up with a mentality that science,IT,and programming are just for boys, that's due to the lack of proper orientation of the environment around them, i am usually happy to see some girl programmers, after all male geeks need to have with them geeks from the opposite gender :) I hope you all girls here can achieve your dreams in programming and one day you could persuade some doubtful men that you are as equal as man in IT, actually you have already started, but as i have said you have to work hard and achieve... not just talk... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

View Postayman_mastermind, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 11:12 PM, said:

For me the whole debate about whether female programmers and those involved in IT are more than men and whether they are better or not will not do any change and will not change the mentality of people, the only way that will enable you(girls) to defend your position is to be programming and making achievements in order to show us(men) that you are really good programmers and to change some other peoples mentality that girls cant program, just debating the issue wont make a difference, working on the issue will make a person reach were he wants and show others that he really can(not just by talking and giving examples) why don't the girls here BE the real example themselves? anyways i am not sexist at all and i don't think that there should be difference between men and women in IT field once there is the required logic there is no difference between male or female, i think the roots of the problem are from the mentality of the people especially some girls who grow up with a mentality that science,IT,and programming are just for boys, that's due to the lack of proper orientation of the environment around them, i am usually happy to see some girl programmers, after all male geeks need to have with them geeks from the opposite gender :) I hope you all girls here can achieve your dreams in programming and one day you could persuade some doubtful men that you are as equal as man in IT, actually you have already started, but as i have said you have to work hard and achieve... not just talk... :)

printf("Win");

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

You all forgot to mention B9!

I never really considered gender as a reason to choose a career. Whether a person is a good programmer has nothing to do with gender, but I think you do have to be intelligent.

Two of the programming instructors at my (old) college are women. And two are men.

Why do people get so hung up on gender when it comes to things like this? It doesn't really matter, does it? If you like what you do and are good at it, isn't that all that counts?

B)

View PostNeoTifa, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 08:57 PM, said:

Whoa skyhawk, I don't know if you're instulting me or what! Why am I always the example of bad posting? :(

1) Yes, he was & 2) Because you're always doing it.
//as Simon Cowell says, I'm not being rude...it's just the truth. One example is in that very post: insulting is how you spell it.

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 27 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

View PostOliveOyl3471, on 28 Jan, 2009 - 12:03 AM, said:

... what about him?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

View Postayman_mastermind, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 11:48 AM, said:

I don't think that's true :P i rarely see girls interested in IT around my environment, even in D.I.C. there are only 3 girls who are usually involved in IT discussions and who like to code yet most of there posts are in the lounge...(yet they still have some interest though). at my university there were 2 girls out of 30 students attending the Java Programming 1 course, now the semester is going to be over in 4 days, one already dropped the course last week and one seems like she will fail in the finals :S , as for the graduates, there was only 1 girl who graduate in our university with an MIS degree last year out of 20 graduate males... and not a single female graduated in a degree with CS last semester...

It's true, I spend more time in the other forums other than the programming ones. That's because 1) I'm in class now, so I don't have as much free time to mess around with learning more programming as I would like to. 2) Except on rare occasions, I can do my programming homework just fine by myself, and have no need to post questions in the forums and 3) I'm not good enough (yet) to answer most of the questions in the programming forums. But I do like to hang around and read the code sometimes.

There were a few of us females who got our CS degrees last Spring. 2 of us in programming...& one guy I think.

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 28 January 2009 - 05:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:15 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 28 Jan, 2009 - 12:10 AM, said:

View PostOliveOyl3471, on 28 Jan, 2009 - 12:03 AM, said:

... what about him?

He gets a tad touchy when people insinuate that he hasn't done his part to forward the status of women in the IT world... that he spends his time just TALKING instead of working hard and achieving.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »