• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 810 Views - Last Post: 04 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Where are the American CS students?

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Maybe it's just my university, but it seems that the American students in the CS/SE program are the minority by a long shot. I've noticed it before, but tonight it was starkly apparent. I had been corresponding with another student in the class - sort of vetting before letting him join my project group. I'd never met him, but after class tonight he came up to me and introduced himself. I started to say, "How did you know it was me?", when I paused and looked around. This is a class with probably 65-70 people and it was apparent from just a cursory glance that the likelihood that any of them was named "Tony" was slim to none. I In fact, I would have bet $100 right there. I don't have anything against Indian students (although it would be nice if deodorant was more prevalent among the students in some of my classes), but it's discouraging to see so few American students interested in CS. My wife was just telling me tonight how difficult it is to get her (middle school) students interested in anything science-related. They tell her "it's hard" before even trying - as if they already had their minds made up about it. Same with math. What a pity. Hopefully what I'm noticing is local to my slice of the country, but somehow I doubt it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where are the American CS students?

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where are the American CS students?

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

American students stay at home & rob the pizza delivery guy.

Seriously, it's been my experience that those who live in "the land of opportunity" take it for granted. It's the whole "forest for the trees" saying.

It may not sound like I'm being that serious, but most college aged kids I've seen in our city are content being bums, parting, doping up, & committing crimes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

I was once an American CS student...

Now I'm raising 2 daughters.... a fearless 5-year-old who refuses to admit there's anything she CAN'T do. Thus far in her tiny educational career, anything science, math or computer related is her absolute favorite thing to do.

My 7-year-old, however, has given up already. She frequently gets sheets of 100 math problems for homework - nothing severe (it IS 2nd grade after all) - just basic addition and subtraction. She insists that it's too hard, that she can't do it and cries for me to help her. If it were something at least as complicated as double-digit numbers, I would have no problem helping a bit. But honestly, how many times can I show her to add 2+3 on her fingers before it should reasonably be assumed she KNOWS how to do it?

And I don't know what brought her to this point. She was in the gifted program for math and science last year. This year - I don't know if she's adopting the attitude of her friends or if there was a pseudo-traumatic experience involved - but she has zero interest in the things that used to thrill and amaze her.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:46 AM

\0/ I'm an American CS student. Huzzah!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:20 AM

The undergrad here was 90% at least American.

Graduate program however, you can call it little India.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

SE all the way!!!! :D: :^: :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

1. Computers are hard. ( Insert whiny voice here. )
2. Money?

Americans are a lazy lot; always have been. Even our homeless are fat. The only people who have ever hauled ass in the US are immigrants. After about third or forth generation they're assimilated enough to be as under motivated as everyone else. And we have to pray that people from other lands keep coming; there's work to be done. Because, of course, the real goal of most people coming to the land of opportunity is to amass enough wealth and free time to join the rest of us on the couch. :P

Seriously, computers have lost their mystique and the pay scale has become more realistic or even under valued. Unless you honestly enjoy computers, there are probably more direct, less difficult roads to the lazy lifestyle. In contrast, folks from other countries still view technical skills and computers in particular, as valid path to success.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

View PostBigAnt, on 27 Jan, 2009 - 07:47 AM, said:

Same stuff!!!11!!111!1 :) :D :D :) :D :D :):):):):) :D :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

I'm American, and I plan on going to school for CS. But I honestly enjoy computers, and love programming, so that works for me :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

View PostKYA, on 28 Jan, 2009 - 02:22 AM, said:

I lol'd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

View PostProgrammist, on 26 Jan, 2009 - 09:00 PM, said:

... I don't have anything against Indian students (although it would be nice if deodorant was more prevalent among the students in some of my classes), ...

Yep. There's also a girl in my Engineering group from Bangladesh named Nigma. I'm like SWWEEETTT!!! Maybe it was because I just got done watching Batman the night before. (The Riddler == E. Nigma)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

View PostNova Dragoon, on 27 Jan, 2009 - 07:20 AM, said:

The undergrad here was 90% at least American.

Graduate program however, you can call it little India.

Yeah, I'm in the graduate program and it's like taking a trip to Hyderabad, minus the dysentery.

Well, I won't argue that American kids are lazy, but I'd say many of the Indian students at my school are not exactly honest. We even have a name for the groups of students who have this network of homework answers from previous semesters and who all seem to have the PDF copy of the book: The Indian Mafia. They traffic in homework solutions and projects from previous semesters from former "mafia" members. It's a known problem and many professors play tricks like intentionally picking homework problems that have incorrect solutions and running plagiarism software, but it doesn't seem to do much good. If one of them has an answer then they all get it. I've even heard of classes where they talk and make hand gestures during tests when profs aren't looking. Is academic "sharing" (cheating) an acceptable cultural thing in India or something?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

View PostBigAnt, on 27 Jan, 2009 - 08:47 AM, said:

They don't have SE at KU, only CS.

But anyway...I'M A CS MAJOR! I'm American too! Just what you asked for! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

View PostLocke, on 27 Jan, 2009 - 11:25 PM, said:

View PostBigAnt, on 27 Jan, 2009 - 08:47 AM, said:

They don't have SE at KU, only CS.

But anyway...I'M A CS MAJOR! I'm American too! Just what you asked for! :D

View PostKYA, on 27 Jan, 2009 - 09:22 AM, said:

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

View PostProgrammist, on 28 Jan, 2009 - 12:39 AM, said:

Well, I won't argue that American kids are lazy, but I'd say many of the Indian students at my school are not exactly honest. We even have a name for the groups of students who have this network of homework answers from previous semesters and who all seem to have the PDF copy of the book: The Indian Mafia. They traffic in homework solutions and projects from previous semesters from former "mafia" members. It's a known problem and many professors play tricks like intentionally picking homework problems that have incorrect solutions and running plagiarism software, but it doesn't seem to do much good. If one of them has an answer then they all get it. I've even heard of classes where they talk and make hand gestures during tests when profs aren't looking. Is academic "sharing" (cheating) an acceptable cultural thing in India or something?

We had this problem when I was in college as well. There were only three people in my CS major that were American, I was one of them.

We had some Indian kids but most of them were African, but that didn’t seem to matter because it was a common thing among all the foreign kids(regardless of the class too). We ran into a lot of them would do the hand gestures, or they would just start speaking to each other in their native tongue during a test and no one knew what they were saying, and the teachers tried to stop it but they would just keep right on going and give the teacher the “my English bad, did not understand you” line.

In my Physics class we came in one day to find 4 overhead projectors displaying four documents side by side and the teacher asked us to find out what was wrong with them.

5-10 minutes later, after we had time to examine the papers we began calling out things that were wrong, each paper was exactly the same and they all had the same errors. After we were done he called four kids to the hall, they never came back to class after that.

He explained to us that these four kids had turned in the same exact papers(word for word) multiple times, and were even cheating on the tests, (Via hand signals). He then explained that he had had this issue before with foreign kids cheating making noises with their mouths. All his tests were multiple choice so it was easy to do. He said he caught on because he heard the noise and then realized he thought they were cheating and then confirmed it later when he graded the papers and their answers were the same. (This was before I had him)

My school was predominantly foreign kids.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +