8 Replies - 1492 Views - Last Post: 29 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What happens in the world of software development?

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

Having worked for some time driving an articulated lorry I suddenly found myself out of work because of an illness...chronic fatigue syndrome, otherwise known as ME. Anyway, that was two years ago. Since then I have developed a keen interest in the art of computer programming, especially VB.Net. But I can't for the life of me understand how you professional guys manage to remember all there is to know about any given programming language. I mean, after college...or wherever you learned to program...surely your first employer did'nt expect you to 'know it all'? How do they start you off in industry? How do you make progress? Is this something that you need to be doing at home also? As for me, I've kind'a got the bug, if you know what I mean. My wife says she is a 'computer widow' and I've turned into a 'geek'.
If anyone is interested in replying I would be keen to know how you start out in this line of work, and in particular, how you progress. Personally, I'll not be making any enquiries for a wee while to come...mainly because of the illness, but I certainly don't have the relevant experience.
Also, any suggestions as to how I might progress as far as experience is concerned would be greatly appreciated. Anything I've learned has been with books, etc. But I've certainly appreciated the rapport with all you guys...and gals...who use this site, it's been an excellent source of help and encouragement.
Keep' er lit!!! ;)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What happens in the world of software development?

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What happens in the world of software development?

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

It isn't about memorization. It's about the ability to complete a task.

I suppose on a smaller level, programming is like dialing a phone.

To do so, you know the rules, the syntax, & the numbers (along with their meaning).

For example :

I want to phone my friend. Where does he live? In the US. Ok, so I need to use a one for the Country Code. Does he live in my local dialing area? No, then I need to use his area code, which is 3 digits. Now I need to dial the 7 digits that make his number. I'm having trouble remembering them. So I check my resources. Pads of paper where I keep friends numbers, the phone book, Google.

Programming is very similar, in that you need to know the rules, the syntax, & if you don't remember the commands or how it works, a source of reference. I know there was a post floating around a while back about what books (as developers) we have in our library.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

I've purchased 'Programming Visual Basic 2005: The Language'. Is this the sort of reference book you're referring to?
Considering what you said, I can appreciate the matter of getting to know and understand the rules, the syntax. I'm thinking that repitition is the answer...or at least, part of the answer to becoming proficient in any given language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:28 AM

well i worked for 4 months at a computer programming company, i did computer programming in JAVA, it was not that advanced and they did not demand lots of complex stuff from me but i knew what i had to do and what was needed to complete the task, each employee has on his PC an internet connection so that if he forgets some syntax in the language that he has to program in he can do some quick googling to get what he wants, it all depends on the logic and your ability to complete a task and not just memorize the syntax for the language, if you forget some small stuff in a certain syntax then Google is your friend, but Google wont help you in the whole logic of the program nor will help you in thinking and this is were real programming is... as for the syntax, once you practice more and more the syntax automatically becomes "carved in your head" it is not such a big deal as long as you know what is needed from you and think in the right way... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

I would definitely agree with no2pencil. When you completely understand one programming language, its main structures and principles, you basically understand how other languages work and it's easier to switch to something new.

As of work experience, I do think that working on your programming skills at home is great. But it's all about your personal limit. You can just sit all day at home, starring at the code screen. Sure, you acquire some knowledge, but it goes the opposite way for your 'outside' life. Working at home in a non-stress environment makes learning sometimes easier, but you also have to focus on other things around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

What each of you have said is interesting, and I appreciate your time...certainly I'll take on board the advice within each of your replies. Many thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 28 Jan, 2009 - 09:20 PM, said:

I want to phone my friend. Where does he live? In the US. Ok, so I need to use a one for the Country Code. Does he live in my local dialing area? No, then I need to use his area code, which is 3 digits. Now I need to dial the 7 digits that make his number. I'm having trouble remembering them. So I check my resources. Pads of paper where I keep friends numbers, the phone book, Google.

Programming is very similar, in that you need to know the rules, the syntax, & if you don't remember the commands or how it works, a source of reference. I know there was a post floating around a while back about what books (as developers) we have in our library.

Excellent analogy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

I suppose on a smaller level, programming is like dialing a phone.

To do so, you know the rules, the syntax, & the numbers (along with their meaning).

For example :

Excellent analogy.

Agreed.

This is sort of like saying Integrating is just adding up the area of shapes under the curve you choose. It is true but the actual practice/process syntax is alot more complicated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

it's like talking in a language i think lets say you speak english (ok you do).
can you rite it? you do.
do you know what a subject is? ok you do.
know a verb? ok you do

its like that you just mem some basic rules what you can't, find you get a cheat sheat for. it's a language basicly thats all just learn the basics and the rest flows you just kinda start implemting it in normally ( way it is for html and js)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1