creating a game

how do you create a game sort of like runescape

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1196 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2009 - 04:01 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

creating a game

Post icon  Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

How do you create or develop a game that is like runescape were you can move your character around and the camera angle. Also how to create your character to pick up stuff and create buildings and inventory
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: creating a game

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: creating a game

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

View PostHockeyman, on 30 Jan, 2009 - 04:10 PM, said:

How do you create or develop a game that is like runescape

Very carefully.

Lots of planning, overall design, programming, and trial and error.

I know that your question is much too vague. Doing all these things is NOT simple. It takes a lot of integration between objects and classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Well runescape is an MMORPG... which is by far the hardest(notice I said hardest not impossible) game to program. It does require alot of work and is often not programmed in java. If you really want to build a game like runescape I recommend maybe looking into some books, and also you will need to be extremely familiar with a multitude of languages to even get started. Again i'm not saying it's impossible, but it's going to be really really hard. Good luck... cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

I wouldnt recomend java for creating games, just dont think it can handle them properly in more ways than one. I would recoment using c or c++, with an additional library like open gl. I am creating a game at the moment, great fun. I am using c# with xna and its amazing what you can do. Also, msdn provide a lot of information and starter kits with this package so that you dont need to be a professional to make a game. I have been programming in this language for a week and i am well into making a street fighter type game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

Locke already described the principles that should be followed to create such a game. I totally agree with him.

I wouldnt recomend java for creating games, just dont think it can handle them properly in more ways than one

It's not about the language. If the topic starter feels comfortable with creating Java applications, Java is a good place to start with game development. There are pretty many games created in Java with different complexity.

you dont need to be a professional to make a game.

I would say that this statement does not reflect the real situation. Creating high-quality games that will be playable obviously requires you to be a professional. It's one thing when you download a starter kit and slightly modify it and it's completely another when you design and develop the game logic on your own from scratch. You will not go far if you will concentrate your development around starter kits.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

Java is completely relevant to gaming.

RuneScape is programmed in Java. It's an applet.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1