13 Replies - 2960 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

is any one here a ipone/itouch app devaloper

Post icon  Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

well i would like to start making apps for iphone and itouch but know i'm trying to learn c then obj c . and i dont have a mac i'm aiming for a mac mini
but please tell me how you started and the pors and cons for making apps for iphone and itouch and what is the best why to become a apple developer or apps developer for itunes
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: is any one here a ipone/itouch app devaloper

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: is any one here a ipone/itouch app devaloper

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

Ok well the first pro is of course target audience. If your app gets accepted to the app store you will potentially have access to over 150 million customers without even having to advertise. The cons, If you are not familiar with developing for mac os x, then starting out developing for the iphone could be a bit of a learning curve. Also, if you don't have a mac you won't be able to develop for the iphone as XCode will only work on a mac. If you're looking into objective C then that's a good start. I would recommend starting out signing up for the ADC(Apple developer connection) and there are a ton of resources of there to help you get started. If you have any other questions let me know. cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

I would LOVE to be an ipod Touch developer... But since I am not mac compatable I am SOL until I finally break down and Jailbreak mine...

Hey what is the risk to JailBreaking? Turning my iPod into a brick (had some friends do this with their PSPs) would really be a bummer. I am also concerned about upgrades and what not.

The only reason I really care is because Mac OSX is too expensive to buy just to play around with programming the iPod. (plus I have heard that it does not really work will in a VM).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

That's correct about the VM... Mac os x only runs on mac hardware and since the VM just mimics the current hardware on the machine it won't run unless it's hacked. Next, as for risks to jailbreaking the ipod/iphone... The biggest risk is of course, yes destroying your ipod. Now i don't know how risky this is but I'm sure if you did a little research for the best app then you would be fine on this front. Next, Jailbroken ipods(and i'm almost sure on this but don't hold me to it) cannot install apps from the app store anymore so you will have to go to third party app stores. And the last risk is of course if your ipod does break then apple will not support it and replace it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 3 Feb, 2009 - 07:11 AM, said:

That's correct about the VM... Mac os x only runs on mac hardware and since the VM just mimics the current hardware on the machine it won't run unless it's hacked. Next, as for risks to jailbreaking the ipod/iphone... The biggest risk is of course, yes destroying your ipod. Now i don't know how risky this is but I'm sure if you did a little research for the best app then you would be fine on this front. Next, Jailbroken ipods(and i'm almost sure on this but don't hold me to it) cannot install apps from the app store anymore so you will have to go to third party app stores. And the last risk is of course if your ipod does break then apple will not support it and replace it.

True that, if you install the newest update , I believe its 2.1.2 it will {un} jail break your phone, if that's even proper. Umm, I believe there are a bunch of third party sites like you said that you can download jailbroken apps but having a jailbroken Iphone you cannot connect to the App store So I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

I was looking into iphone development as well.
the difference for me is, that I think I know c++ well enough to jump into it.
Aside from signing up for those apple resources, how would you suggest going about this?

I am also without a mac, although I think I might be able to piece one together.

as far as the osx, heh I'll just download one, but as a means to an end

Developing for the Iphone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

View PostNotorion, on 19 Feb, 2009 - 05:38 PM, said:

I was looking into iphone development as well.
the difference for me is, that I think I know c++ well enough to jump into it.
Aside from signing up for those apple resources, how would you suggest going about this?

I am also without a mac, although I think I might be able to piece one together.

as far as the osx, heh I'll just download one, but as a means to an end

Developing for the Iphone.

Well i'm sure by now there are some great books online for iphone/ipod touch development. You might want to start looking into OPenGL. But Apple keeps a pretty tight knot around their resources, which are by far the best on the net. So if you're going to start anywhere start there.. Also you don't need to own a mac to have an account. Anyone can join. But you do need a mac to start developing as you need xcode and the iphone simulator. Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

iphone has javascript enabled, I'm not sure of it's capabilities, but open up your file manager on your phone and write some javascript, see if it works by clicking on the file.
instant apps!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

View Postkiwi2, on 21 Feb, 2009 - 11:24 AM, said:

iphone has javascript enabled, I'm not sure of it's capabilities, but open up your file manager on your phone and write some javascript, see if it works by clicking on the file.
instant apps!!

From my understanding the iphone does not allow straight javascript apps as the entire OS is written in Objective-C / C/C++ not java like other phones. So in fact the browser's can be built with javascript, and have javascript enabled however application development cannot occur with any type of java/javascript whatsoever. Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Can a jailbroken iPod/iPhone be reversed by restoring it to factory defaults, or is it a one way street?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 21 Feb, 2009 - 07:25 PM, said:

Can a jailbroken iPod/iPhone be reversed by restoring it to factory defaults, or is it a one way street?

I'm pretty sure it is a one way street. When you jail-break you ipod touch/iphone it is jailbreaking the firmware and i'm almost certain that can't be changed. So as far as a i know it's a one way street.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

From what I understand -- if an error has not occurred you can use iTunes to restore it. We purchased a "broken" iPhone on ebay and called Apple about it -- They said that all software ailments can be restored to the factory settings (or the current firmware release) though iTunes. The Restore updates the phone to the current firmware.

Also from what I can tell a Jailbroken iPhone can still use the Appstore -- I am not 100% sure of this since I have not built up the courage to do it myself but there are quite a number of youtube videos offering "proof". Even if it does not work on the phone itself it should still work to download them in iTunes and then install them separately.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Sigh... There is very little danger jailbreaking either an iPhone or iPod Touch. Basically, you hook the device up to the computer, run one of a number of reputable programs that run scripts to modify the firmware on the device, and then you're set. You can still use the official Apple App Store, and now you can also use the unofficial Cydia application repository. You lose no functionality in the process, and it's fully reversible by just upgrading or reinstalling the firmware using iTunes. Personally, I see no reason for anyone to not jailbreak, considering how safe it's become and how much functionality can be gained with it.

Oh, and this is my first post. Hello everyone! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

View Postmagicdanw, on 10 Mar, 2009 - 04:59 PM, said:

Sigh... There is very little danger jailbreaking either an iPhone or iPod Touch. Basically, you hook the device up to the computer, run one of a number of reputable programs that run scripts to modify the firmware on the device, and then you're set. You can still use the official Apple App Store, and now you can also use the unofficial Cydia application repository. You lose no functionality in the process, and it's fully reversible by just upgrading or reinstalling the firmware using iTunes. Personally, I see no reason for anyone to not jailbreak, considering how safe it's become and how much functionality can be gained with it.

Oh, and this is my first post. Hello everyone! :D

+1

hey im new aswell

View PostNickDMax, on 22 Feb, 2009 - 07:30 PM, said:

From what I understand -- if an error has not occurred you can use iTunes to restore it. We purchased a "broken" iPhone on ebay and called Apple about it -- They said that all software ailments can be restored to the factory settings (or the current firmware release) though iTunes. The Restore updates the phone to the current firmware.

Also from what I can tell a Jailbroken iPhone can still use the Appstore -- I am not 100% sure of this since I have not built up the courage to do it myself but there are quite a number of youtube videos offering "proof". Even if it does not work on the phone itself it should still work to download them in iTunes and then install them separately.

here's something to read during your free time.
http://thebigboss.or...ilbreak-iphone/

its really worth it in the end. also the jailbreaking process is pretty much idiot proof.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1