Learning Cf

What do I need to do

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 2991 Views - Last Post: 13 November 2003 - 02:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• "Sorry, that isn't something we support."

• View blog

Learning Cf

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:34 AM

I have Dreamweaver MX, and what I guess is the 'Developers Edition' of the Coldfusion MX server that came with the package. Ive read something on it and it says that the drawback is that it only outputs to one IP, which im assuming is 127.0.0.1(localhost) for testing purposes. I am totally fine with that if that is all I can do, what I dont know is what app I use to write my code in. A freind of mine mentioned "Coldfusion Studio' which I dont think they make anymore. So I guess my question is this: what steps do I take in the 'create site' dialouge in DW to set up a CF driven site, and I am assuiming that it is there that I write my CF code? I know how to configure data sources in the MX server in a round about way(ive gotten it to connect to my MySQL server at least), but from then on out im rather clueless. Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning Cf

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Learning Cf

Posted 13 November 2003 - 10:45 AM

Dreamweaver MX is fine for writting code, it finished tags and stuff. To start a new CF page go to File, New... menu. From the Category list select Dynamic, then select ColdFusion from the second list. Now you are in DW's ColdFusion "mode", if you start a typing "<cf" it should popup with available tags.

To actually test your coldfusion pages on your local machine, you'll need to have IIS running and setup the default website. You should be able to go to 127.0.0.1 and bring up the site. From here you should be able to run a coldfusion page in the default site folder.

DW does have the ability to setup a site and link right into the datasourse, write code for you and things but I never use that. You are best off writting code from scratch. Here's a basic database query if your datasourse is setup properly:

<cfquery datasource="myDSN" name="test">
select *
from myTable
</cfquery>

<cfdump var="#test#">

just change the datasource and table name and it will list the contents. Let us know if you have any specific questions about how to do stuff.

Here's a great site with answers to a lot of questions you'll probably have: link
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2003 - 11:16 AM

supernova333, on Nov 13 2003, 12:45 PM, said:

Dreamweaver MX is fine for writting code, it finished tags and stuff. To start a new CF page go to File, New... menu. From the Category list select Dynamic, then select ColdFusion from the second list. Now you are in DW's ColdFusion "mode", if you start a typing "<cf" it should popup with available tags.

To actually test your coldfusion pages on your local machine, you'll need to have IIS running and setup the default website. You should be able to go to 127.0.0.1 and bring up the site. From here you should be able to run a coldfusion page in the default site folder.

DW does have the ability to setup a site and link right into the datasourse, write code for you and things but I never use that. You are best off writting code from scratch. Here's a basic database query if your datasourse is setup properly:

<cfquery datasource="myDSN" name="test">
select *
from myTable
</cfquery>

<cfdump var="#test#">

just change the datasource and table name and it will list the contents. Let us know if you have any specific questions about how to do stuff.

Here's a great site with answers to a lot of questions you'll probably have: link

Right on, thanks. I am running Apache and IIS on ports 80 and 8080, respectively. I know that there is an option for getting to work with Apache, which is what I would rather do if possible, as the only reason that I use IIS is for testing ASP pages and nothing else. So if I choose the use with Apache option, assuming that the files are in the correct web root, will the cf pages be parsed?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2003 - 01:52 PM

It will definitely work with apache but i've never set it up that way. When you installed the CF server did it ask you what web server you were using? CF should setup an association of the .cfm extention to run through the CF server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2003 - 02:20 PM

supernova333, on Nov 13 2003, 03:52 PM, said:

It will definitely work with apache but i've never set it up that way. When you installed the CF server did it ask you what web server you were using? CF should setup an association of the .cfm extention to run through the CF server.

yeah it gave me an option and I selected Apache. I will mess with it a bit and see what happens. Thanks for your help!
:alien:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1