iPhone vs Android

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 4578 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

iPhone's future

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

As an iPod touch owner I am extremely frustrated with Apple. They continue to make the same mistakes that have marginalized their products over and over. I don't think anyone can really argue that Macs are cool, well designed and pretty darn stable -- but as a cooperation Apple is just so stubborn, nearsighted, and controlling and they will probably always be second best (even if their products are technically better).

Over and over in the iPhone developers forum Apple's answer to "How to" or "How might I" questions has been: "Why would you want to do that... its just a phone" -- i.e. they designed the iPod/iPhone to be a media-player/phone and seem bewildered that people want more.

Rather than looking at JailBreakers as evil hackers trying to soil their golden design they should look at the community as innovators that will help them discover the potential of their platform. Many of the jailbreak apps are just things that *SHOULD* be added to the platform to begin with.

Android on the other hand has had a very rocky start -- but it encourages grass roots innovation and discovery. I don't have a nice G3 to play with, but I really see a great deal of momentum and I think that the Android platform with soon leave the iPod/iPhone once again marginalized..... what a shame to see that happen yet again in an industry initially championed by Apple.

So how do you see the two platforms/communities staking up? Will iPhone rule the world or will Apple's need for control cause the industry to make it irrelevant?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: iPhone's future

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: iPhone's future

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

I love my G1..

I mean I really love my G1...

I love my G1 so much, that I am considering parting with my 80GB IPod that never leaves my side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: iPhone's future

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

It really depends what you're looking for in this case... From a developers standpoint an iphone would be better because if you develop for it and get your app accepted by Apple then you have a market of about 150 million people without even trying. As for the G1, I think ti's better for a working class... Iphone's are great for games and stuff, but I find it lacking when it comes to real world apps.

And @ Nick - If you have an issue with your ipod touch, I recommend joining up the ADC(Apple developer connection) and just emailing the developers yourself. I've done it a couple times and they have gotten back to me with some very reasonable responses. Try it out
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1