• Last »

50 Replies - 2408 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Britain in trouble

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

HELLO,
Yes to start off I live in the UK and think were in lots of trouble.Even tho I'm 14 I know lots about the state of our country.I love LBC radio because its 24 hour talk radio

first today our interest rates are now 1.0 base rate.WHich the base rate has never been lower that 2.0 ever.
SO this is worrying

Next we have no control over the banks and lending companies.We lower the rates they don't.We give them 40 billion to `allow lending` they don't.They now ask for 200 billion `to allow lending`(yer sure)

also we have no main industry.We have a finance market until the great collapse of northern rock and the overall failure of securitisation.This was our industry but not no more.what can we offer really now until we get our act together.

We may end up like Iceland

:crazy: :
next well will be hosting the 2012 Olympics and this is costing a lot which is not good with our current state where we are lending money of about 2 trillion in the next 2 years to fix our economey.This will have to be payed of in the end costing my generation lots for along time.

Next we have some many companies having to merge meaning that we will lose competition on alot of markets.

I have lots more to say but tried so i may include tomorrow.Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Britain in trouble

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Britain in trouble

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

Quit worrying so much! You're 14!

All kidding aside its cool you are involved in the world news. This is a global problem that is going to get much much worse before it gets better. The states just announced the unemployment totals :

* A total of 2.6 million jobs lost in 2008 the most since World War II.
* A jobless rate that's at 7.2% and climbing.

And, to underscore the accelerating nature of the problem, more than half of those job losses occurred in the final four months of the year. If you include the people that the government doesn't even count such as unemployed farm workers, the idle self-employed, and workers in private homes the unemployment rate approaches an astonishing 18%. In other words, unemployment has insidiously spread to almost one-fifth of the U.S. work force, a number much larger than the single-digit figure commonly bandied about in the press.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

View Postsbell1099, on 5 Feb, 2009 - 08:13 PM, said:

:crazy: :
next well will be hosting the 2012 Olympics and this is costing a lot which is not good with our current state where we are lending money of about 2 trillion in the next 2 years to fix our economey.This will have to be payed of in the end costing my generation lots for along time.

Do you realize the amount of revenue that will be made by local business (& taxes collected on sales & such) by the fact that people from around the world will come to see the Olympics? Restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, taxi cabs, everyone is going to benefit.

Actives like sporting events naturally generate revenue by bringing visitors intob the city/state where the event is held. Hosting the Olympics is no only an honor, but a financial jackpot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

Quit worrying so much! You're 14!

true.

View Postabsynthe, on 5 Feb, 2009 - 06:26 PM, said:

All kidding aside its cool you are involved in the world news. This is a global problem that is going to get much much worse before it gets better. The states just announced the unemployment totals :

* A total of 2.6 million jobs lost in 2008 – the most since World War II.
* A jobless rate that's at 7.2% – and climbing.

Yes we have around 2 million jobs lost in 2008 and the same sort situation more than any world war.This is new and never seen in a world market any thing could happen that's what scares me.I mean The US and UK could become some of the poorest countrys for some time.

View Postno2pencil, on 5 Feb, 2009 - 06:33 PM, said:

Do you realize the amount of revenue that will be made by local business (& taxes collected on sales & such) by the fact that people from around the world will come to see the Olympics? Restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, taxi cabs, everyone is going to benefit.

Actives like sporting events naturally generate revenue by bringing visitors intob the city/state where the event is held. Hosting the Olympics is no only an honor, but a financial jackpot.

Yes but according $13.6 billion or 9.25 billion.
But we are having trouble with currency so now it has gone up for all import so we are paying around 11.30 billion so far.There no way we can make that when the stadiums can't hold that many.

another problem(i said above) was that we have our pound falling yet if look at it before we was worth more than the Euro or dollars.(per unit)
This is a problem because we can't trade out but there is a way to use this to a advantage...

Seriously we could advertise to Europe that we are the bargain place of the recession.it is showen that they are coming over for the bargains because of parity. Yes so we could make some money then if we put our heads to it.

This post has been edited by sbell1099: 06 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:24 AM

View Postsbell1099, on 6 Feb, 2009 - 03:53 AM, said:

Seriously we could advertise to Europe that we are the bargain place of the recession.it is showen that they are coming over for the bargains because of parity. Yes so we could make some money then if we put our heads to it.

Interesting thoughts. It might work if we had anything of our own to export, but we don't :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

I love how everyone talks about jobs lost, but never jobs created.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

Why don't you speak about jobs created?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

next well will be hosting the 2012 Olympics and this is costing a lot which is not good with our current state where we are lending money of about 2 trillion in the next 2 years to fix our economy.This will have to be payed of in the end costing my generation lots for along time.

This is more of an investment than simple costs, the revenues that the country will be making in the long run is surely much greater than the costs that are being incurred ;) in addition all what you are talking about is part of what is called a stage in the business cycle of the economy which is a stag which ANY economy passes through and is known as recession and don't worry about interest rates, usually lowering of interest rates means an increase in investment, which is actually a positive aspect and not a negative one... the higher the demand on investment, the lower the interest rates(higher the cost of investment)... this means that there will be positive future cash flows due to the increased investment so don't worry... when thinking of economy especially macro-economy you have to look at the long run more than just the short run or direct reflection on the individual, hopefully after every recession there is an economic growth but if there are increased losses in the period of recession this would lead to an economic depression instead of growth,and this is the dangerous thing but i don't think that would happen to a country such as UK :P but one advice i would like to give you: having big expenses does not certainly mean having a loss... the revenue may be much greater than the loss... that's what an economist should usually think of... anyways sorry for talking too much but i am usually interested in topics about economy and i have taken a couple of courses in economics ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:35 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 6 Feb, 2009 - 06:08 AM, said:

Why don't you speak about jobs created?

Just because America lost 'x' amount of jobs, doesn't mean that job went away completely. It may have went to another country, or perhaps it was consolidated into an existing position. The "job" in essence is still being performed. People just get upset when its theirs. America outsources to other countries, but many countries "outsource" to America. Not many people talk about that.

I take issue when reports say "2.8 million jobs lost in the world this year", really? So 2.8 million tasks that need to get done are suddenly gone? Yeah right. If that were the case we could have gotten rid of fireman and policemen a long time ago ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

It's all gabehabe's fault.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

Geez, when I was 14 all I had to worry about was the impending nuclear holocaust. Kids have it so easy these days ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

I would be more worried about the social decay (or reported social decay).

Shit we might have guns here, but the roving bands of hoodlums willing to wail on folk for no reason is concerning.

Example: 10-14 year olds burning puppies..
http://www.dailymail...es-bonfire.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

Man you Brits have some serious issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

damn, no sooner than I say that I find this in the news today.

http://www.kansascit...ry/1020981.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 6 Feb, 2009 - 06:41 AM, said:

It's all gabehabe's fault.

LOL yes gabehabe fix it your fault.

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 6 Feb, 2009 - 08:29 AM, said:

Geez, when I was 14 all I had to worry about was the impending nuclear holocaust. Kids have it so easy these days ;)

lol that must of been bad.I'm into physics and chemistry.I have already my core science and additional science gcse.Plan to get extensional this year.Then go to study cs and other sciences for masters degrees(off topics)but what i mean is i would love to know so details.with me been a proper geek(lol)

View Postmodi123_1, on 6 Feb, 2009 - 08:38 AM, said:

I would be more worried about the social decay (or reported social decay).

Shit we might have guns here, but the roving bands of hoodlums willing to wail on folk for no reason is concerning.

Example: 10-14 year olds burning puppies..
http://www.dailymail...es-bonfire.html

No sorry but that is a stereotype and perception of all young people but the truth is that i could name around 20 out of 200 people in my year who would do some thing like this.The thing is that the police can't do much they warn them(but there parents don't care).What we need to do is have a special learning school for all these people.Where we can get them back to being half decent in our society.
BTW I'm doing social studies,Business studies and media(not relivant this one).So this is how i know this stupid crap.

Oh and i would like advice.I will start a new topic in coffee thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »