5 Replies - 848 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Progamming references at work

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

guys is books and ebooks and net accesses and quick refrence card allowed in firms i am mainly concentrating myself on how i can increase mine speed of programming becuase you guys have experience with working on firms and all i dont have such experience
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Progamming references at work

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Progamming references at work

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

I don't have any experience with firms or job experience or anything like that. All of my experience has came from simply the love of the art, and the desire to learn more.

Simply put: If you want to code faster, the only thing that you can really do for that is practice. Start by building simple programs that you would actually USE, and then work on slightly bigger projects. If you're confused on something, there are a ton of resources online, but if you don't always have access to the internet, there are a ton of good books out there. Just hang out at your local bookstore and skim through them, and determine which ones you actually wish to buy.

As far as reading materials, I use online tutorials, e-books, and actual books, but I prefer actual books the most, primarily because it forces me to type out the sample code. Main reason why I like that so much is because it forces me to look through the entire code, rather than just skim through it, and I learn more that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

1.) Topic renamed to be more descriptive
2.) Moving this to the Corner Cubical as it's not a language specific question
3.)
I have never worked for a company that didn't allow reference books, programming guides and such. In fact, most of my manuals have come from past employers. It's nice to have them handy, even after over 15 years of professional programming I still run into things I need to look up. Programming isn't about memorization, there's simply too much material to memorize. It is more about time, the longer you do it the more you learn
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 7 Feb, 2009 - 10:23 AM, said:

1.) Topic renamed to be more descriptive
2.) Moving this to the Corner Cubical as it's not a language specific question
3.)
I have never worked for a company that didn't allow reference books, programming guides and such. In fact, most of my manuals have come from past employers. It's nice to have them handy, even after over 15 years of professional programming I still run into things I need to look up. Programming isn't about memorization, there's simply too much material to memorize. It is more about time, the longer you do it the more you learn

yes i agree on it i just learned c# but basically i will have to commit a project on it to learn the concept deeply i sometime forgot syntax in that case i refer to refrence card or books
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

I almost never see anyone without shelves full of the things at the office, and the company occasionally (every month or so) puts on training courses, at which attendees usually receive an o'reily like reference book as their "text".

Granted I am not saying "go out any buy up books", more "if you work for any medium to large technical company, these things will accumulate like compound interest".

-Jerome
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

View Postnumerical_jerome, on 7 Feb, 2009 - 12:37 PM, said:

I almost never see anyone without shelves full of the things at the office, and the company occasionally (every month or so) puts on training courses, at which attendees usually receive an o'reily like reference book as their "text".

Granted I am not saying "go out any buy up books", more "if you work for any medium to large technical company, these things will accumulate like compound interest".

-Jerome

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1