VB/Visual Studio 2008 Question

Question about coding screens

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 766 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2009 - 03:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

VB/Visual Studio 2008 Question

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

I am beginning work on a sports simulation and I'm unsure on how to code my screens.

Each total screen has two areas that are static (don't change) and one area that changes as links are clicked.

How do I code the screen with regard to placing the images on the workbench? Do I include all three in every screen that I code or just the one that changes and then place the static ones into the app in a different way?

Left side is my links area; top is my header and close/minimize area; other area is where the information changes as links are selected.

All three areas have graphical images as their backgrounds, etc.

I have attached an image of what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Cooley

Posted Image

NOTE: This image is just to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Its not the actual page images.

This post has been edited by Cooleyvol: 07 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB/Visual Studio 2008 Question

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB/Visual Studio 2008 Question

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

Moved to VB.NET :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

You can't actually define a static area on the screen when developing a game. The game screen frames are updated constantly, so even the places on the screen that appear to be static are actually renewed while the game is running.

You can, however, define a rectangle, that will be the viewport (the main game space), where all the action takes place and two other rectangles that will contain game statistics, for example. You will place different objects in their specific rectangles. Statistical objects will always remain in their rectangles, but whenever an object that is handled in the viewport is reaching its rectangle limit, you have either to stop the object motion or handle another set of events.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Thanks. Its not a Role type of game where the action 'moves'. Its a text based simulation, so basically, clicking certain links on the left opens up different pages on the lower right. No motion or anything like that.

So, are you saying that each 'screen' will have all three 'images' on that screen when coding it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

clicking certain links on the left opens up different pages on the lower right.

You can't actually contain different containers (like you would do with web page frames). You can create different frames that are not visible until certain conditions are achieved.

So, are you saying that each 'screen' will have all three 'images' on that screen when coding it?

No. The main game screen has to have just two main frames and another set of frames, which will contain the game elements. Each frame from that set of frames will be shown when a certain condition is fulfilled.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1