7 Replies - 1429 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2009 - 09:33 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help This Beginner in Video Game Programming

Post icon  Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

I am starting to work with Dev-C++- Compiler and I am trying to make a game with Irrlicht.A library with 3d graphics. However although there are many tutorials, I do not find it very helpful in learning the whole functionning process.

So some question bumped in my mind:

"How to create the World Where the game wil happen?"
(physics motor? graphics library? how to design a phyisical stucture where the class character will actually not go through the floor -_-; etc..."

"How to even create a character????"
(ive seen most basic tutorials about making programs work together hmmm.... i've seen how to apply pictures in a blank window! (yay D:::::)
(^ therefore no idea)

"How to store all of this and combine it?"
(its one program or a series of programs stored together???)

----

ANYWAYS: If anyone was trying to build this sort of environment and also had this type of very beginner level questions; would anyone be kind enough to help me by giving me some perhaps freeware material to study from. (as I learn mostly by testing) Any code that involves creating a character moving on a landscape would be fine.

What I seek is a Complete Tutorial on how to create a simple Video Game environment, no need for anything with action, just imagine what I want as a perfectly empty beta world of a game where just the character would be able to walk and perform actions on a lanscape.

Otherwise it would be very kind if anyone would give me one of their past codes in the same genre; or any code I might have missed on internet which would present this very specific kind of needs.

Sorry if I made this so long, boring and complicated to understand (anyways I tried to explain it in a nutshell in the B{ part) but if anyone would please help me about this I would be very thankful for their wonderful gesture^^

Enjoy the rest of night people
Thanks in Advance

~GN~

More about me:

As you know most people first start by copy pasting. (which was sadly my case 2 years ago when I started learning HTML and getting into very basic programming) For me somehow my progress stopped for that period of time. So I thought maybe I should get into C++ because it's very interesting to study object oriented programming languages and can be very interesting for future career.

"Yes, I am only 17". And I am very interested in learning about programming, animation, and graphical design on computers. I also have some talent in art, and I can sketch relatively good.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help This Beginner in Video Game Programming

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help This Beginner in Video Game Programming

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

Moved to Game programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Creating games is not an easy task, as it involves not only knowledge in programming, but in many related areas like physics and mathematics. You will have to apply this knowledge to perform necessary calculations when developing your game. Starting developing game physics without a solid foundation can be quite difficult. Why not start with basic 2D graphics?

Regarding using the game engine you specified, try looking at some of the tutorials presented on the official site:

http://irrlicht.sour.../tutorials.html

There are several tutorials that start with the basics and can answer your questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

View PostCore, on 7 Feb, 2009 - 03:12 PM, said:

Creating games is not an easy task, as it involves not only knowledge in programming, but in many related areas like physics and mathematics. You will have to apply this knowledge to perform necessary calculations when developing your game. Starting developing game physics without a solid foundation can be quite difficult. Why not start with basic 2D graphics?

Regarding using the game engine you specified, try looking at some of the tutorials presented on the official site:

http://irrlicht.sour.../tutorials.html

There are several tutorials that start with the basics and can answer your questions.

Oh, sorry for the wrong thread, I noticed there was a Game Programming Section only after submitting. (thx!) And Irrlicht does have some interesting pages...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

I would have to say Irrlicht is probably the best and easiest to use out of all the free engines so it would be a good start
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

yes irrlicht is an excellent 3d engine, it is very to easy to create and edit maps using irredit.

It is still going to need some understanding of making games in c++ as the tutorials dont go beyond the basics, but its very high level so doesnt really get incredibly scary.

As for making your characters and 3d models

Maya is excellent for 3d models but costs money unless your going to use the personal learning edition, you could also use blender which some people will reccommend becasue it is open source.

as for 2d I would reccommend photoshop and its also excellent for 3d texture maps.

If your planning on doing all of this on your own then your going to get frustrated very quickly, so either find someone to make your assets and art or use pre-existing models and sprites from the web (programmer art).

good luck :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

Maya even as the personal learning edition is extremely good to use for maps, models anything like that but unless you have a lot of patience or time then you will get frustrated and annoyed unless you get pre-made sprites et from the web
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

An excellent way of making quick sprites with some of your won personal touches is to use flash, with the layers in flash you can trace the animations you need from pre existing sprite sheets.

What i mean by that is that you can download sprite sheets and then find the walk cycle and maybes mark points to base your drawings on. I did this because I could draw things but would not be able to animate them so I just sort of copied :)

this can probably be done in photoshop as well :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1