5 Replies - 830 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Encouraging Advice

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

Guys....and gal's (in case NeoTifa & Olive Oyle are here)....advise me please. There seems to be so much to any given programming language I can't help but wonder how I'll ever remember all there is to remember. Being self-taught, and hoping to gain something for all my efforts, I sometimes wonder if I'm really making any progress at all!! What, as far as you're concerned, would you recommend to help gain proficiency in VB.Net (this is my chosen language for learning...and a bit of C# on the side). C'mon folks, give a helping hand here and I'll be your friend forever. :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Encouraging Advice

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Encouraging Advice

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

The trick to learning a language isn't in memorizing the intricacies of the language; but in learning where to find the documentation that will fill you in on those intricacies any time that you need them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

If the java API did not exist....

References are my best friend.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Guys, where would I be without DIC, and the access it affords to the likes of you and your expertise? Many thanks. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:12 AM

Theres a couple of books i use constantly and found especially useful when i decided to take the plunge and re-write my main commercial app from vb6 to vb.net, and those are 'visual basic 2005 the language' by francesco ballena and the other is 700 tips and tricks. (these are my bibles and bedtime reading hehe) theres a lot of heavy going sections that i still dont fully understand, but you can learn a lot of stuff & techniques you might never come across just doing web searches.

francescos site is http://www.dotnet2themax.com/

I reckon vb.net is a gr8 language and because it compiles to IL code, there doesnt seem to be much difference in performance to c#, and u can use reflector to dissasemble vb.net to c# (or the other way round) to cross check and as a learning tool

GL in ur programming ventures

Bob
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

Logic is your friend. Once you've developed your logic, everything else will fall into place. Also, as everyone else has said, look through the documentation as needed. I know (at least for Java), most languages have a large SDK. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1