Deprecated Code

Are old Java books reliable?

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 854 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2009 - 08:45 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Deprecated Code

Post icon  Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hello,

I'm new to Java, about one month into an introductory course and trying to branch out and learn as much as possible on my own. I'm at a low-level intermediate level with actionscript 3.0 games programming and I want to do the same sorts of casual games with Java. I have access to a whole bunch of great java texts: the issue is -- some date back as far as 1999 or 2000, to jdk1.2

Can I rely on the information in these texts to still be applicable to jdk 1.6se? If not, is there a resource for looking up deprecated methods and finding alternatives? Or is it better just to avoid old books altogether?

If it's safe at all, how many versions of the jdk is it safe to go back in with a book? I mean, say I find a great book written for jdk1.4? I see that most of the code compiles -- but I want to be sure before I risk wasting my time.

Thanks for your help,
Charlie IronGleet

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Deprecated Code

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Deprecated Code

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

It is good for getting the basics of syntax and flow, but after you learn that, I would take a look at the current API to check.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

its best to follow the latest texts as you will find some features and classes present in the newest version of jdk that werent supported in the older versions...so its better to be updated
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

View Postmostyfriedman, on 8 Feb, 2009 - 05:07 PM, said:

its best to follow the latest texts as you will find some features and classes present in the newest version of jdk that werent supported in the older versions...so its better to be updated

I understand that -- but what I want to know is: Regarding the old material, does it all still apply?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

yea of course it applies, the syntax is the same and the conventions and everything, the only difference is that some stuff in the newer versions of the jdk arent supported in the older ones...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

View Postmostyfriedman, on 8 Feb, 2009 - 05:17 PM, said:

yea of course it applies, the syntax is the same and the conventions and everything, the only difference is that some stuff in the newer versions of the jdk arent supported in the older ones...

Thanks -- that answers my question. If I could afford new books I'd buy them -- for the most up to date info I rely on my textbook and class. My concern was that older stuff might not be supported in the newer versions of the jdk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

if you cant afford new books, you got free tutorials all around the web and also you got us here at DIC ;) if you need help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

View PostCharlie IronGleet, on 8 Feb, 2009 - 05:20 PM, said:

View Postmostyfriedman, on 8 Feb, 2009 - 05:17 PM, said:

Thanks -- that answers my question. If I could afford new books I'd buy them -- for the most up to date info I rely on my textbook and class. My concern was that older stuff might not be supported in the newer versions of the jdk.

Old stuff akmost always work but for some exceptional execptions like "enum"
I wouldn't be scared o much to use old features
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1