8 Replies - 1492 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

• member icon

• View blog

Seriously amazing thumb drive...

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Posted Image

Ok, I don't mean to sound like some sort of salesman or anything, but SERIOUSLY take a look at this product description:

This Thumb Drive will self-destruct in 10 seconds...

Thumb drives are a convenient and cool way to carry around your data, and with drive sizes in the gigabytes, you can store a ton of photos, files, music, and video in a very tiny space. Unfortunately, due to their small sizes, they are targets for information thieves.

Think about it - all that personal data - your resume, email, password-files, and pictures of your girlfriend (wink) can be picked up and copied and returned before you even noticed it was missing. You want to have this data handy, but handy for you and not for that scumbag down the hall with the sticky fingers.

Like you, the US Military wanted portable but secure storage, and the guys at IronKey stepped up. They've developed the perfect solution that's one-part thumb-drive, and two parts Mission: Impossible. Their thumb drives hold up to 8 Gigabytes of data, but includes a hardware encryption chip that scrambles the data so as to be completely unreadable without a password.

Passwords can be hacked, but not the IronKey. It's built to withstand attacks both virtual and physical. 10 incorrect password attempts, and the encryption chip self-destructs, making the contents of the flash drive totally unreadable. The contents of the drive are filled with epoxy, so if a hacker tries to physically access the chips, he'd more likely damage them instead. Even if he did get access to the memory chips, they'd be worthless without the encryption chip. Electron-shielded, even a scanning electron microscope can't get inside.

Applications built right onto the IronKey help keep your personal data safe. For example, the password manager keeps your passwords safe. How? Your passwords are securely stored in a hidden hardware-encrypted area inside the device (and not in the drive's file system), being first locally encrypted with 256-bit AES, using randomly generated keys encrypted with a SHA-256 hash of your device password. All of this data is then doubly encrypted with 128-bit AES hardware encryption. Hack that.

A secure copy of Firefox included with your IronKey encrypts your browsing session through a VPN tunnel to IronKey's Secure Sessions Service. It works by tunneling your entire web browsing communications through the Tor-based Secure Sessions proxy on your IronKey. The Secure Sessions tunnel connects over an encrypted connection to their network routing servers, which in turn route your traffic between a number of servers, and then eventually out to your destination website. This approach protects your identity and your confidentiality, encrypting and anonymizing your Web surfing on almost any network or VPN (virtual private network).

These drives have already seen duty in Afghanistan, keeping US Military secrets safe from unsavory people. They're certainly good enough even for your most sensitive data.

Don't tell me that isn't amazing... Check it for yourself!

Thoughts? Opinions? Owners? Dreamers? Whoever you are, comment on the security measures they've put into this device. Honestly, I've never seen data more secure than this.

This post has been edited by pr4y: 08 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Seriously amazing thumb drive...

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Seriously amazing thumb drive...

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

The security measures implemented in this flash drive make sense only if you have very important information to transport on the drive. I think that the price for this product will be too high until this technology gets picked up and implemented in other devices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

probably too expensive to misplace easily
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hooray for military technology! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

I've been salivating over one of these things for at least a year, but DAMN are they expensive >.>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

*drools*

Me wants.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

or you could just keep it in your pocket, I find most things I put there pretty secure. The idea is interesting, does anyone other than military or spook type people need this, probably not, if they do, perhaps the company should reevaluate the intelligence of that employee, since they would likely forget the password anyway.

If I ever saw one of these, I'd be more likely to enter 10 wrong passwords to destroy it, lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

As far as the password goes, you could use something simple, but personal to you. For instance, your cellphone number. A strong 10 digit numeric password with 3 layer hardware encryption, that if you forgot... well lets just say you aren't the brightest API in the devkit.

I can remember at least 3-4 times when I was working on a very expensive project for someone and a few people were trying to steal it from me for their profit. I kept it on a USB stick inside of a 2 ton gun safe in my basement.... You never know when you need reliable and very secure protection on your data.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

Well, I find that a standard USB stick with truecrypt on it does the work quite nicely. And it isn't expensive either. :) /Jens
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1