2 Replies - 354 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Performance of links and uploads

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

I have an Intranet site that you can upload files and download files using Windows workstations and servers. Some of the files are as big as 100 mb. In my environment on different client workstations and servers it takes about 8 to 10 minutes average to upload a 100 mb file. The customer wants me to expedite download and upload speed. Please advise if speed of upload and download is dependent on the environment? Basically it is relying on client bandwidth speed and server bandwidth speed?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Performance of links and uploads

#2 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Performance of links and uploads

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:01 AM

I could be wrong - and please, folks, don't hesitate to jump in if I am - but I'm relatively certain it is going to be dependent on both. If my connection is 256K and yours is 768K, I cannot upload or download faster than my connection will allow. Conversely, if MY connection is 768K and YOURS is 256K and I'm downloading from or uploading to your server, I cannot upload or download faster than YOUR connection will allow.

I guess, ultimately, it's dependent on the speed of the slower connection. Or am I completely off base here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• awake ? web();
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Performance of links and uploads

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

That's correct. Also, you have to consider choke points on your network. If you have a crap load of servers and clients with fast cards but only one switch handling all the requests then you're going to get collisions and data loss which slows everything down. Network design isn't really my bag though, so I can't offer any more help than that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1