2 Replies - 1375 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Future job prospects....

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hi, I am torn between these twomajors. Here are the basics:

CS: I think that I would enjoy programming (although at this point, all I really know is a little java), and I like solving puzzles. However, I think that CS might be a little too theoretical for me; also, from what I heard, once you major in CS, you can't really go into other fields of engineering, so career prospects and protection from layoffs are limited.

EE: From what I heard, this field is very varied (EE can work for aerospace, biomedical companies, IT, energy, etc...), so you will always have a 'job', and can easily find your 'niche'. However, I have also heard that EE is one of the hardest majors.

Here are some questions I have:
Which field has the most math?
Which field pays the most?
Which field has the brightest future?
Also, which one will open up better opportunities for entrepreneurship?

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Nihilated: 10 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Future job prospects....

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Future job prospects....

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

View PostNihilated, on 10 Feb, 2009 - 04:21 PM, said:

CS: I think that I would enjoy programming (although at this point, all I really know is a little java), and I like solving puzzles. However, I think that CS might be a little too theoretical for me; also, from what I heard, once you major in CS, you can't really go into other fields of engineering, so career prospects and protection from layoffs are limited.

I don't know who told you that, but I personally think that is total bullcrap.

EE: From what I heard, this field is very varied (EE can work for aerospace, biomedical companies, IT, energy, etc...), so you will always have a 'job', and can easily find your 'niche'. However, I have also heard that EE is one of the hardest majors.

That's subject to your skills, desire to learn, and the school you're at.

Here are some questions I have:
Which field has the most math?

Both can have a lot, depends on your "track". Personal discretion, expect calculus at the very least.

Which field pays the most?

Depends on your skill, desire, compency, etc... Generally CS and EE have similar entry level salaries ($50,000+)

Which field has the brightest future?

Both are great. Department of Labor statistics show a 20%+ growth in 2008 over 2007 in CS/EE/IT fields. It is expected to grow 40% this year. Why not research this yourself? You have access to the internet.

Also, which one will open up better opportunities for entrepreneurship?

Either. Moreover, ANYTHING. What do YOU want to do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Future job prospects....

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

I'll preface my advice with my background. I'm a self-taught programmer up until high school where I was able to take lots of C++ and comp sci classes. When I got to college, I decided to switch my major in the first semester from Computer Science to Computer Engineering (which is really an EE degree with a specialization in computers). Since graduation I've been working for a software company and coding in C#.

My biased opinion is that the answer to all of your questions is EE.

An EE degree can be a great thing because many schools allow you to specialize in a number of different fields (like you listed above). It really all depends on the school, though. Before you choose CS or EE, research the school you plan to attend. Look at the senior-level courses offered. Look at the list of acceptable elective courses. Try to pick a program that offers some specialization in the field that interests you the most.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1