10 Replies - 1095 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

msgbox problems

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

hi all i am VERY new to this java/javascript and i have a problem on my new site i have designed i have a side_menu that gets loaded and that side_menu is just a set of links now i dont need every link (at the moment) to go anywere and before you say it i cant cut the links down as the site just wouldnt look right and out of shape so i would like to put a msgbox in my page so if a user clicks one of the links that DO NOT have a page to forward to it just displays a msgbox that says link aint used yet.. someting on the lines of..

<a href=>
<script type="text/javascript">alert("This link is not yet active!")</script>Website
</a>

now this works but it also displays the message box when the page loads and that is not what i need so is there a way i could stop it showing when the page loads??

also can i make the msgbox title say my site name and not [javascript application]

thanks for you time reading

TADS

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: msgbox problems

• member icon

• View blog

Re: msgbox problems

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

onclick

Hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

i can do it with a button not a problem..

but i have a link (not a button) and im not sure how to do this

thanks for the reply
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

<a href... onclick="thing()" >

I hope this gives you a push in the right direction to put 2 and 2 together!

Let me know how things turn out!

This post has been edited by pr4y: 10 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

@pr4y: Please don't treat members like that. We all have to start somewhere, and the OP at least tried before asking for help, which is better than some I've seen :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

thanks for the reply again and yes i have been messing with <a href but couldnt get it to work... and NO i aint doing homework im a little to old for that as i said to start with i am VERY new to java/javascript and i have never used it before it just i need to do something that can as it seams only be done with javascript.. i only use vb.net and html

thanks again i will keep trying
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

just thought i would post i worked it out atlast

<a href="" onclick="alert('This Link Is Not Yet In Use!');return false">my link</a>

thought i would post what i got it MAY help others
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize saying "Use the knowledge I've given you to put 2+2 together now" was treating members unfairly...

Given that I spend on average 5-6 hours a day doing nothing but help people on this site out of respect for the desire of knowledge, perhaps I'll just let other people fill this task.

I apologize, TADS, if I came across as rude... I was merely trying to be motivational. I didn't see what I said as that at all. I guess I'll just take off and do my own thing for a while again I guess. Peace to everyone else.

This post has been edited by pr4y: 10 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

@pr4y: No need to be so sensitive, when you make statements like

Was that more clear? You are here to learn, not to receive free homework or job labor. Use the knowledge I've given you to put 2+2 together now.

That does indeed come across as being rude to someone. I know if I were to get a reply like that from a member I would think they were extremely rude. All who come here are here for help, not to be accused of trying to get free work from you. You truly aren't the only one who spends hours a day here helping simply for the joy of programming and helping others. I was merely pointing out that your reply was a bit harsh, if you wish to get upset over it that is your prerogative
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

The only problem with that is that neither TADS nor I were upset. Even if he was, I apologized for the fact that you pointed out he may of taken it that way.

Besides, what drives people to learn anyways? Certainly not someone online telling them, "Here sweetie, I've done all the work for you. All you have to do is copy and paste it. Have a good day now, hun!".

Not only would that annoy me, but it doesn't give them the jumpstart they need to spark that next cognitive lightbulb. Being driven by your peers to reach the next level of skill has been a basic human need since the beginning of known existence.

I'm not arguing the fact that the skin of what I said shed a single dead cell of harsh... but in all honesty, where were you when I first joined? Not that I'm trying to pass on some form of hazing to new members, but I think even TADS would accept the fact that not everything in life is all peaches 'n creme. A little push n shove is due just in some situations. I experienced it, my friends experienced it... Hell, I bet even you experienced it at some point, Psycho.

That's really all I have to say. I wasn't going to say anything else but your response left the option wide open for this post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

View PostTADS, on 10 Feb, 2009 - 05:04 PM, said:

<a href="" onclick="alert('This Link Is Not Yet In Use!');return false">my link</a>

Since you're returning false, you might want to put something in the address to alert people who have their status bar viewable:
<a href= "http://Nowhere_yet!" onclick="alert('This link is not yet active!');return false")>Website</a>

;)

....and, I'm with pr4y. If the mods here came down 1% as much on those who post help requests with no code and no effort to find a solution on their own, this site would be much improved.

I'm not saying anything about TADS here: he's made an effort. There are plenty who haven't though, and there really needs to be a system for stopping them. Honestly, their first post shouldn't get through if it doesn't have code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1