8 Replies - 5826 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2009 - 12:01 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ Adventure Games?

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

I was wondering, because I am currently planning a 2D point and click adventure, or action sidescroller (with same story), how I would go around doing this with C++? If anybody is interested in helping set up, i.e. a few tutorials for C++ WITH graphics, etc. Thanks.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, I am not asking for any code what so ever, just a bit of advice. Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ Adventure Games?

#2 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ Adventure Games?

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

Hi there

A good idea would be to use SDL which is a cross-platform and excellent library for your 2d game development needs :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Hmm... It looks very good but not quite what I am looking for. You know games like the Starquest Series? Something like that, but written just in C++ with DirectX or OpenGL... How would I do this (with no engines).?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

hmmmm well that involves a lot of work and something i cannot just explain to you. Your gonna need to learn how to use OpenGL or DirectX.

if your just doing 2D then SDL is all you will ever need it has mouse input for your point and click adventure and everything you could need.

Games involve a culmination of a lot of different things, drawing graphics, updating object, collision detection and a lot more. You should start with something simple really and then use your new found knowledge to make something more ambitious.

First of all get your c++ skills down :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

Ok, cool. Thanks for that. So I need to learn C++ to at least moderate knowledge of each kind of thing, then try going to games. But it is just that i am so eager to learn and get stuck in, but I never can get my head around evrything, be it resources, or tutorials, etc. I can just never get stuck in.

Anyway, thanks for the help - later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

yes i know the feeling, but starting with something simple is the best bet :)

a game such as space invaders has everything you need to learn really , loading graphics, collision detection, projectiles, AI pretty much everything :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

You should learn C/C++ very well first. Diving into writing games with only a little knowledge of the programming style will end up with slow code that doesn't work often and you have no idea what's going on. It helps to know what to debug and how to use libraries.

The most common compiler error is the Unresolved External one where you didn't link the library correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

Ahh I see. So after I have studied C++ for a while, how would I install directX with Visual C++? Just go to the Microsoft site?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

Learning to code takes time, just like anything else, there is now way to make it come faster. Start here: Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

I somewhat disagree with the other posters that you need to have solid C or C++ skills to start coding something. To do a full-blown game, yes, you need the skills and experience. But you can't decide to make a game and then just just do it, anymore than you could decide to learn to play the piano by playing in an orchestra.

If you are willing to learn and accept that is takes a lot of time, then you can get started right away.

You should certainly pick something that you can actually finish. If you don't know how to write a guessing game, start with that. Then do BlackJack, and then on to TicTacToe (for two players, no AI!). Those game will teach you critical skills like a game loop, random numbers, arrays, data structures, and unique problems like sorting a deck of cards and keeping track of which ones have already been played. Find a game like this already done, read the code, figure out how it works, and then change it, add features, etc.. You will learn more from reading code than any other source.

Your first programs are going to be a mess, expect it. Post it, ask questions, look at how someone else solved the same problem. The human brain learns by doing and making mistakes (we call it experience). I don't know anyone who has been coding for over a few years who does not look back at their first programs and cringe. You say "holy crap, I can't believe I was coding like that!!" That's learning.

I don't recommend C or C++ (or Java, or .NET, etc.) to start learning. They all have requirements that get in your way and assume you already know something (even to just set them up); plus they can just be a pain in the @ss.

Start with an interpreted language that runs in a fixed environment. That way nothing gets between you and hacking on code. Some suggestions: any computer emulator that has BASIC in ROM (Apple ][, TI-99/4A, PC XT, even DOS with BASICA), FreeBASIC, PureBasic, BlitzBasic, Python, etc..

The skills you learn early on will be usable no matter what language or platform you move to later. A game loop, arrays, sorting, looping, keeping score, collision detection, I/O, etc. are the same no matter the language, the specific implementation is simply a detail of syntax.

Matthew
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1