2 Replies - 649 Views - Last Post: 16 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Getting into the real world

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

I was going to put this in the Web Development area, but I decided it would better fit here.

I'm a senior in high school and I've been doing bits of web design for about three years now and I'm getting pretty good at it. I know CSS pretty well and can adapt to PHP/Javascript syntax if I ever need to (I know C# and C++/Python to lesser degrees). The first major website I've gotten online was for my dad's business. He owns a local computer repair company. The site's pretty simple and meets his requirements (easily accessible, especially for the elderly); it's not anything too complicated.

My Programming/Computer Science/Desktop Publishing teacher has gotten me a few deals with websites. Let's just say he knows people. He used to be on the city board, a school district administrator. Not only do people around town know him but previous students of his, too. The first company he referred me to is a local tourist trap. We pretty much knew I wouldn't get paid, and it's not that hard of a website, anyway. The hardest part was working with such little content. It's something I can put in a portfolio.

The next major one that I'm currently/sort of working on right now is a local, very popular restaurant. I won't get paid much for this (not officially), but I've already gotten a free meal out of it. Whoo! They'll probably end up giving me a tip once it's at the point of 'completion.'

Recently someone contacted my teacher about a website that they want to pay someone to redesign/maintain. I've seen the site, and it's a complete clusterfrick. Everything except for the home page is on web.archive.org! Whatever, it wouldn't be that hard to do.

In terms of non-webdesign, I've had a good amount of programming experience. I made that random maze generator and wrote an algorithm my own algorithm to solve it. This year I'm also a teaching assistant for a Programming II class.

The question I really have is . . . what am I worth? I'm beginning to think I'm worth maybe $20.00 an hour, but I don't have anything to judge by. I make $7.00 an hour at Kmart, :rolleyes:. I've been pondering making at least a part-time living off of web-design.

How do I get into the real world?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting into the real world

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting into the real world

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

Why do I seem really good at making topics people don't want to reply to?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting into the real world

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

Give it some time. I wouldn't feel comfortable even speculating since I don't have any "real world" experience. Plus, this should probably be in the corner cubicle rather then the student campus. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1