Torque Game Builder

Book SPECIFICALLY on torquescript for 2D GAME BUILDER

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 8349 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2009 - 12:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Torque Game Builder

Post icon  Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

Is anyone aware of any books specifically on using torquescript for the 2d game builder engine?

I've seen several devoted to the more difficult 3d engine and am wondering if the torquescript stuff in them is applicable to the Game Builder 2d engine?

How does anyone ever get started in this language? Is there even a set of api docs? (that you don't have to pay to see?) The books all suck -- I think I've seen them all -- and the documentation stinks and tutorials are scattershot way to learn. It's a real chicken before the egg phenomena -

Just wondering - how do people learn this? The five or six tutorials that come with it are barely enough to get your feet wet!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Torque Game Builder

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Torque Game Builder

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

http://www.amazon.co...G...894&sr=11-1 :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

View PostCharlie IronGleet, on 16 Feb, 2009 - 04:56 AM, said:

It's a real chicken before the egg phenomena -

That's not a "phenomena," it's a rather simple question.
Those who are logical, and believe in Science would know for a fact, the egg came first. Where did you come from? Your parents. Are you identical to them? No, slightly modified. Therefore in 200 years, your children wouldn't be nearly like you, thus "changed" and "evolved" as some say.

Those who are religious, and believe in God would know for a fact, the chicken came first. Where did you come from? God. God created your in his image. You were spawned from him in a blink of an eye, along with every other living creature and plant.

Seriously. Simple - KISS
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

View PostHyper, on 17 Feb, 2009 - 09:06 AM, said:

View PostCharlie IronGleet, on 16 Feb, 2009 - 04:56 AM, said:

It's a real chicken before the egg phenomena -

That's not a "phenomena," it's a rather simple question.
Those who are logical, and believe in Science would know for a fact, the egg came first. Where did you come from? Your parents. Are you identical to them? No, slightly modified. Therefore in 200 years, your children wouldn't be nearly like you, thus "changed" and "evolved" as some say.

Those who are religious, and believe in God would know for a fact, the chicken came first. Where did you come from? God. God created your in his image. You were spawned from him in a blink of an eye, along with every other living creature and plant.

Seriously. Simple - KISS

You're kinda missing the point of my post -- I wasn't trying to spark a philosophical debate - although I do have a degree in the field -- but was just using that turn of phrase to convey a thought.

Sometimes its necessary to speak precisely.

Sometimes its not.

But, if you wanna split hairs -- I have an issue with what you said. You said the religious 'who *believe* in God would *know*'. Not so, they would *believe*. What you're calling knowledge on their part is just another misguided belief of theirs based their theistic delusions.

Take care,
Charlie IronGleet

View Poststayscrisp, on 16 Feb, 2009 - 06:18 AM, said:

I've seen this book before. Am I mistaken in concluding that it DOES NOT cover the 2d game builder at all -- not so much as a single mention in the index? It was a while back I perused it.

Yeah, after checking out Amazon I see I'm right. You see people keep referring me to books that appear relevant solely for the 3d engine. I'm looking for something spoecific to the 2d engine.

No doubt I could get something out of it, syntax and structure --- but I don't want to have to spend time extracting whats useful from whats not. Thats what a good book should help you do.

Thanks though!
Charlie
Irongleert

This post has been edited by Charlie IronGleet: 17 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

That means you personally believe the egg came first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

http://www.garagegam...blogs/view/7854 how about this
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

View Poststayscrisp, on 17 Feb, 2009 - 01:03 PM, said:

Quit going on-topic. We're arguing about chickens and eggs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Charlie,

Hello. I work for GarageGames and thought I'd make you aware of the following resources. Hopefully, this will help you get ramped up on Torquescript more quickly!

1. 2D Game Building Book: This book focuses on TGB game development and was just released this month. Chapter 5 gives you a brief 20-page primer on Torquescript, and some people find that a good place to start.

2. TGB Documentation Links: We recently revamped the website to include a section on TGB that outlines some of the most popularly searched and indexed tutorials on the GarageGames forums. We update this regularly, too, as new content comes in.

3. Official TGB Documentation: We also offer our official documentation of TGB online as well as with the engine itself (although it sounds like from your post you've already found this).

4. TGB Public Forums: These public forums are accessible to anyone, and our community is very prompt at answering questions, especially for beginners.

5. TGB Private Forums: If you own TGB, you will be able to access even more source information in this forum.

Hope that helps!

Deborah Marshall
Torque Product Group Manager
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1