Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 838 Views - Last Post: 17 February 2009 - 06:23 AM

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Where to go

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:21 AM

Hello,
I need serious advice.As I have a year left till I leave no need to panic :crazy: .

So seriously I have to choose a college or alternate option.

I looked at local colleges such as Wakefield one here
Look at this is what theyOffer Please help me!

Or I can go to any college with in 15 milles from castleford,west yorkshire.The thing is that I want to do programing and general ict but also i want to do 1 subject out of ict.but in my time at college I want to get as many Ict Qualification as possible even if i have to work more and have a special times table can you help.

This what the A level at wakefield is

AS Level (Year 1)

Unit 1 – Practical Problem Solving in the Digital World

This unit provides students with opportunities to develop their knowledge and understanding of the development of ICT systems through practical experience. Students are expected to use a range of applications software, hardware and communication technologies to solve a variety of different problems.

Unit 2 – Living in the Digital World

This unit looks at the wider picture of the use of ICT and promotes an understanding of the basic terms and concepts involved in the study of the subject. Questions addressed include:-

* Why is ICT being used?

* Is it appropriate to use ICT?

* What are its present and future implications?

* How does a particular use of ICT affect society?

A2 Level (Year 2)

Unit 3 – The Use of ICT in the Digital World

This unit looks at future developments in ICT together with the management of ICT and its use within organisations both large and small.

Unit 4 – Practical Issues Involved in the Use of ICT in the Digital World

Coursework unit involving the production of an ICT-related system over an extended period of time.

How you will learn
There are two ICT lessons per week. You will become active investigators rather than passive learners and will develop a number of projects aimed at developing your understanding of analysis, design, implementation, testing and evaluation.

I can do all that already and I want a challenge.I have done studies to do with the impact and crap have got A's for it.

Is dreamincode still going to do CIW and stuff I may save up or Use my nest egg my Nana put away for me (got enough to do about 1000 worth of course an still enough for college and uni)so I would love this Or if there a registered person that can get me CiW i would like to speak on pm.

There this course I'm interested in but I know some one who has done it and said it's the same as my Gcse Imedia so I may not want to do it.
I mean My Imedia I have walked I mena photoshop element we used and only had to show we could use 3 tools.and then flash animation all it was is motion tween and shape I still put AS in thou.lol Then games design we used Game maker 7 you it makes GML for you using drag and drop to easy.Then website design They said use WYSIWYG I did coding but everyone else didn't.t

Lol

heres the info they gave

What you will study
You will study 12 units (equivalent to 2 A Levels). This consists of 6 end-user focused units and 6 practitioner focused units.

Unit 1 - The Information Age

Unit 2 - The Digital Economy

Unit 3 - The Knowledge Worker

Unit 4 - System Design and Installation

Unit 5 - Web Development

Unit 6 - Technical Support

Unit 7 - Using Database Software

Unit 8 - Managing ICT Projects

Unit 9 - Communications and Networks

Unit 11 - Using Spreadsheet Software

Unit 13 - Web Management Options

Unit 10 - Using Multimedia Software

or

Unit 14 - Programming
How you will learn
Students will be expected to attend sessions that include both theory and practical using industry standard computer software and hardware. They will have access to the networking suite to develop their practical networking skills. Skills and knowledge are developed for each unit using research and practical activities

Yes so What do you think remember I want to go to Uni for a masters in Computer Sciences and some other science/complicated math.Any other Ict I get at Uni would be just a gift.

Please help me I have a year but need a Plan.

The alternate option was A apprenticeship I got offered with some big companies(e.g Kodak)but I know I go to college once a week but I don't thing it will help me with uni.

Oh i just forgot for the first 22 weeks after I leave school.I'm doing A++ course.I may end up having a year free because if they collide i have to skip college for a year.So that may mean for that year I will devote my self to dic.I won't get a job use my website design to fund me.So Chris if you would need help at august/October 2010 you got it for free/pay me if you want (only would except 20).So I may study as many CIW as possible.And I wish there was a dreamincode qualification fair enough it would be a big one but if you sent a official certificate and people could contact you for transcripts .Maybe I would be glad to help out now with that if I could get one straight away.

Thanks I know some one has A head to help.

This post has been edited by sbell1099: 17 February 2009 - 05:52 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to go

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to go

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

You'll find most UK college courses will be similar. I did a year in 6th form (year 12, gained AS levels) and my course was kinda both of those that you quoted rolled into one.

There really isn't much variation. University is where the courses are more likely to differ.

Wakefield college doesn't seem too grand, I wouldn't trust a college IT course if they can't have a decent site. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:06 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 17 Feb, 2009 - 04:58 AM, said:

You'll find most UK college courses will be similar. I did a year in 6th form (year 12, gained AS levels) and my course was kinda both of those that you quoted rolled into one.

There really isn't much variation. University is where the courses are more likely to differ.

Wakefield college doesn't seem too grand, I wouldn't trust a college IT course if they can't have a decent site. ;)

I know But they just built state of the art facility's.This building when I pass later I will take some pictures for you.lol I would like anywhere else you could suggest but I'm not sure If I will relocate but I will try it.I mean the I have to spend the better because I rely on website designs for money.But I'm willing to go for it if you could post some links and why you think I should go there Guys lol

BTW wakefield not very grand all together lol.

This post has been edited by sbell1099: 17 February 2009 - 06:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

Like I said, college is college over here. No matter where you go, I don't think it will be too different.

Best places would be in London, I should imagine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:23 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 17 Feb, 2009 - 05:12 AM, said:

Like I said, college is college over here. No matter where you go, I don't think it will be too different.

Best places would be in London, I should imagine.

Yes I Know.Lol I never used my brain.

I thought you would of gone for a A++ It's free with who I do it with.22 weeks.Lol the guy said that when he came in anyway.

Zenos Academies are aimed at 16-19 year old students and school leavers. While obtaining valuable IT qualifications, Zenos trainees also receive a more rounded programme that encompasses business acumen and key skills such as problem-solving and communication in order to gain employment and succeed in the IT industry.

Its for it techincan course.lol

Thanks for your input anyway

This post has been edited by sbell1099: 17 February 2009 - 06:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1