• +

21 Replies - 3381 Views - Last Post: 01 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

#16 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Internet Usage Tutorial

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:05 AM

I tried the clickable link in his email.... and it was fail.

He called to tell me he got the email, but didn't know what to do with it. I told him to click the link and he asked, "What's a link?" I explained that he needed to click the words in the email I sent and he said, "It won't do anything when I click it." So, I explained how to copy/paste it. His response was, "Whoa. Now you're in way over my head."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

I have found that old people learn the internet (or computers in general... but especially the internet) best for children. The younger the better. First off there is little judgment from kids -- and what there is can often be seen as Oh so cute. Secondly the kids are just learning -- in fact they may never have actually done what they are demonstrating before, but they have seen others do it and so its exciting to explain what they know.

And then there is the whole "working together" part -- see the kids don't read/spell so well. So it is hard for them to type the right things is or know what link to click (unless there is a graphic button).

My grandmother is surprisingly internet savvy. She may not know the lingo or view things quite the way we do -- but she knows how to do it none the less. She gets this from helping the kids play their little Disney games, look things up on Wikidedia, "google", and send email. (about the extend of what I have seen her do but I am not there often).

IF you can send an HTML email -- try sending the link as an image -- Images are far easier to "see" than a link -- especially cartoon/caricature. Works for little kids -- they always know "And then I click on the frog, then the little princess; um she is pretty but her hair is all like sparkly; um I used to have sparkly hair for my um um um kacy's birthday was at... etc. etc."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

I was going to suggest the link in the email myself. You can always try using something like gotomeeting and having them click the link. Then they can view your computer live and you can show them step by step what to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 17 Feb, 2009 - 06:26 AM, said:

Ultimately, I am at my wit's end. How else can I try to explain this to him? Does anyone have suggestions for anything I haven't tried?

Many, many thanks!

Physically mail him a flash drive or some form of media he does understand, on that media device, create a bullet-proof walk-through, step by step (this infamous "10 Step X" routine).

Make sure it has screen shots of What you should, and shouldn't see. Walk him step by step, and if he doesn't see something he should see, take a "detour" to get it working for him. Pictures and videos, on something simple (seeing as how he's obviously computer illiterate)... PowerPoint (M$ FTW) perhaps? Or MS Word Documents? Whatever you choose to use, make sure he has it on his machine (notepads just don't cut it for old folks sometimes).

From what you'd said it seems like you did a variation of those (I love those people who just don't get it), but not everything at once.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

Use remote assistance (AU) at least
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

How about something more simplistic?

iexplore myWebsite.com

Then email it to him and tell him to double click it. Nuff said. If he can do email, he should at least be able to save file as.

PS: Old? Yes. But I figured since it was up at the top still it was okay to post in it.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 16 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

View Postjjsaw5, on 23 February 2009 - 08:10 AM, said:

what about sending him a clickable url in an e-mail since he can use that?

This to me seems like the best way to go about it if he's got his email down although remote desktop could be cool since he can see what you do live. But some clients don't like this method of support as they believe they could have "private information/secure files" and are worried someone or you/your company will have access and possiably misuse it. I'm not saying you would personally, but in general..

Seriously though, get him to firefox/chrome as soon as he can learn. :tt2:

EDIT://Yikes! Didn't notice the date of thread before I posted.. D'oh! Oh well.

This post has been edited by Vip3rousmango: 01 April 2011 - 07:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +