4 Replies - 437 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello there, a beginner from one language to the next.

Post icon  Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hello there, I just recently really started programming in C++ (I know the basics of functions, variables, conditional statements, and I did loops once, but I do not remember.), and I started to program two years ago, when I got Dark Basic Classic for my birthday from my dad. I then started to work on that, got decently far, and went to Dark Basic Pro, to learn more about programming. I always have been planning on going to C++, and I hope to someday become a game designer. When I finish with the book I am currently reading, I am planning on getting another book more gaming oriented. When I am done with that, I will attempt to begin 3D. If I fail miserably(Like I plan I will.), I will try 2D, when I got most of that down, I will go to 3D, again. I plan on going through a bit before I go to college, to get a head start and not fail out early in the years.

I have done a little bit in C++ before this, but not enough to really matter. I am currently working through this book: Sams Teach Yourself C++ in an Hour a Day. From what I read of it so far, it is pretty good. I have had it for about 4 days now, and I am on the 6th chapter, or the 6th day (I am ignoring the 'an Hour a Day' promise, it takes more than that anyways.)

Well, I feel like this is enough for an introduction. I hope I find another home in these forums, and I hope you guys accept me as I come, and hope for some help if I need it, and will offer help if possible. Thank you to whomever offers me a warm welcome.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello there, a beginner from one language to the next.

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello there, a beginner from one language to the next.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

Hello there darkend102.

Welcome to dream.in.code. I guess we'll accept you. :)

One thing, though. Please don't plan to fail. Plan to succeed. You'll do much better that way! I plan to be an expert someday. Granted, I may be 108 by that time, but hey, I'd be that old anyway, right? :)

Have a great day! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:01 AM

Hello,
Welcome hope to see you around the forums.Yes I Do C++ that book looks good.Yes By the way 3D is not to hard and You can do it I'm sure.Try out GML its so easy its DRag and Drop mostly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

darkend102, welcome to the community! Is there anything 3D you can show us? Please :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

@Olive

Ok, what I meant there was I will look at some 3D code, and see if I can grasp it. If I can, I will continue with 3D, however, not knowing how it looks now, I am assuming I will not 100% understand it, so I will then switch to 2D, and work on up. I do not plan on failing, but I suspect I very well might.

@sbell
What is GML? Never heard of it, however, I do not like drag and drop. I have used a lot of those type of programs, and most turned out to be dissapointing, not enough performance. I am one of the people that tries to get as much power in the programs as possible, but when I used Dark Basic Pro, I learned that the only way to get the speed I want, I need to learn C++. Is GML as fast as C++ rendering time? Is it as powerful?

@Val
I have a made a few 3D models at home, which I am not at right now (I am at school.), but nothing that impressive. I plan on making games in the future, and the industry is primarily in the 3D part, which is why I am going to learn 3D programing, if possible, I will show you some models, but no promises.

@All
Thanks for the greetings, I will learn the best that I can. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1