how to make GUI java

GUI in java programming

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 84516 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2009 - 08:34 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to make GUI java

Post icon  Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

i want start learning GUI in java
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to make GUI java

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to make GUI java

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

Well you will have to check out J

There are many good GUI tutorials for Java here around the forums and around the net, here are some good java GUI tutorials from Dream In Code:
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic17705.htm
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic23017.htm
and here are links from outside D.I.C. that are also good:
http://www.cs.nyu.ed...al/03s/lect/l7/
http://java.sun.com/...books/tutorial/
I hope this helps, good luck in your programming :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

View Postayman_mastermind, on 22 Feb, 2009 - 09:19 AM, said:

Well you will have to check out J

There are many good GUI tutorials for Java here around the forums and around the net, here are some good java GUI tutorials from Dream In Code:
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic17705.htm
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic23017.htm
and here are links from outside D.I.C. that are also good:
http://www.cs.nyu.ed...al/03s/lect/l7/
http://java.sun.com/...books/tutorial/
I hope this helps, good luck in your programming :)

Ayman Mastermind you are a living encyclopedia
:^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

If you do a quick search on Youtube and Netbeans.tv, you can find a ton of quick tutorials on how to make Java GUI's. If you are using Netbeans you can easily create a graphical application using Drag and Drop components and then filing in your code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

View Postcrummydo, on 22 Feb, 2009 - 10:42 PM, said:

If you do a quick search on Youtube and Netbeans.tv, you can find a ton of quick tutorials on how to make Java GUI's. If you are using Netbeans you can easily create a graphical application using Drag and Drop components and then filing in your code.

I highly recommend AGAINST NetBeans, because when you use the drag-n-drop GUI editor, there is a possibility of a few layout issues that are incredibly difficult to resolve.

Real programmers code their GUIs themselves and don't let the IDE do it. ;)

This post has been edited by Locke: 22 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

View PostLocke, on 22 Feb, 2009 - 08:45 PM, said:

when you use the drag-n-drop GUI editor, there is a possibility of a few layout issues that are incredibly difficult to resolve.

Real programmers code their GUIs themselves and don't let the IDE do it. ;)

What are some of these layout issues?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

Well, I've come across one big one that I have yet to be able to fix except by manually overriding the GUI editor with a line of code.

The components sometimes won't appear where you want them to. I believe it only happens when you move a specific component a few times without doing something in between. It will cause it to disregard the moves you made, and have it appear where it was before. This is a huge pain in the ass. Because then you have to figure out the coordinates to put it at, and then call the setLocation(...) method to use to actually place the component where you want it.

That is the error that I come across most frequently. It's not a big one, just a pain. It happens fairly often and it gets old very fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

Regardless of what Locke thinks, I am a beginner to Java and programming in general and have no other knowledge of how to make a GUI besides drag and drop. Wether that is in Netbeans or Visual Studio. It is atleast a good way to learn I think. Here is a linke to a NetBeans tutorial. Just see if you like it. If you don't, don't use it.

Netbeans GUI Tutorial
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

Check out the Java Swing libraries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Regardless of what Locke thinks, I am a beginner to Java and programming in general and have no other knowledge of how to make a GUI besides drag and drop. Wether that is in Netbeans or Visual Studio. It is atleast a good way to learn I think. Here is a linke to a NetBeans tutorial. Just see if you like it. If you don't, don't use it.

Netbeans GUI Tutorial

The problem is NOT in drag and drop, it is great, easy and fast for making the best GUIs yet, i think it is really bad for a beginner to start GUI directly through an IDE without really learning and understanding the code behind it, using GUI editors is great but it can have some bad consequences if you rely on GUI editors from the very beginning without taking the time to understand GUI code and what makes it work, in addition this would make you when writing programs involving GUI dependable on using a visual GUI editor, you would end up powerless in writing GUI based programs without a GUI editor such as that of net beans under your disposal, and remember, you may not be able always to have access to a GUI editor in some cases... so your only resort would be in that case to hard code your GUI, and IF you don't know how to do that in that case then you would be in trouble since you became dependable on using GUI editors since the very beginning before even understanding all GUI concepts and code, anyways that was my opinion and advice to all those starting with Java GUI good luck anyways and happy programming ;)

This post has been edited by ayman_mastermind: 24 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

View Postayman_mastermind, on 24 Feb, 2009 - 10:12 AM, said:

Netbeans GUI Tutorial

The problem is NOT in drag and drop, it is great, easy and fast for making the best GUIs yet, i think it is really bad for a beginner to start GUI directly through an IDE without really learning and understanding the code behind it,

:^: agree 100%
You can drive a car without even knowing what a piston is but it might not a good idea depends what you want to achieve

If you always draw your GUI using an IDE you would be useless finding flaws in GUI code with problems posted here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1